A Vegan Obsession. Powered by Blogger.

Hola! Herby Spanish Tortilla.




MUSHROOM, RED PEPPER & HERB...Spanish Tortilla. 

I have an ongoing 'to try' list. A crystal ball of flavours I am destined to devour.  One recipe that's been hounding me is frittata.  I had recently discovered a great recipe by Fat Free Vegan for vegan-zucchini-frittata that looked drool worthy.  But I had a problem....visions of my mum's Spanish omelet (not vegan) kept flashing in my mind and, though it was a a memory from when I was a wee 15yr old lassie, I could taste it.  But I decided to ignore it and follow the recipe in front of me from FF Vegan.  WRONG!  I found myself hunting for VEGAN SPANISH TORTILLA with my trusty friend Google.  I could veganize this old family favourite....right?!  I watched a movie online of a woman and a little girl whipping up a vegan mayo & a Spanish tortilla on YouTube, but she was using BUCKETS of oil and it totally freaked me out. DILEMMA!   I wanted it to be light and clean, and chickpea flour can taste a bit 'powdery', so I didn't want to use the frittata recipe.  So, I did what I usually do...I winged it.  I took elements of Fat Free Vegan & Carol & Wenshu and of course my dear 'ole ma and created my own.

I am going to be a bit un-English and blow my own trumpet and announce...'it was really ruddy good'.





At the time, it seemed a bit complicated but I am sure it will be breezy next time, now I know what I am doing.  I even wrote it down, just so I could share it with you.  Aren't I studious?!


This recipe will SERVE 2. 


INGREDIENTS

175g firm silken tofu
5 tbs besan (chickpea) flour
3/4 - 1 cup water (aim for a consistency like thick pancake batter)
1 large potato (didn't weigh it but think size of an adult fist)
1 med onion
1 red pepper
5 chestnut mushrooms (or any full flavoured type)
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs vegan cheese *optional* I used Parmesan
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp oregano
3 sprigs of rosemary

1 tsp of tumeric (for colour)
salt & pepper




You could make all this in a fry pan but I wanted EASY and low fat.

Chop potatoes and onions 1 inch sq and put into a roasting roasting tray.  Cover with 2 tbs a good olive oil and mix in.  Drop in the rosemary too.   Roast for 20-25mins or until golden.  At the same time, in another tray, pop the red pepper in whole..it doesn't need oiling.  Remove from oven when blackened slightly.  Leave to cool then remove the skin and carefully pull out the centre.  Chop and leave aside.



Whilst you've got that all going on you can fry the mushrooms in a little oil.  Leave in the pan.

For the batter;
In a mixing bowl add the flour and water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, & herbs and seasonings (salt & pepper 1 tsp of each...I added more pepper as I like it with a kick) give it a whisk until all lumps are removed.  Add in the tofu and whisk again.

Spray your fry pan with oil.  Add your roasted vegetables along with the rosemary.  Arrange them evenly in the pan and then pour over the batter.  Have the heat on med to high and use a spatula to form the tortilla and lift from the edges of the pan.  Keep jiggling the pan to free the tortilla.  Use a plate to turn the tortilla and slip it back in to the pan.  I had to do this twice to ensure it was cooked through.  A frying slice used to gently push down the tortilla and bring any raw batter to the surface.  It took about 15 minutes to cook through.  Wiggle it onto a serving dish, click your castanets and stamp a triumphant foot. 


 ahi va!   ¡buen provecho




*next time I am going to try just pouring the batter into the roasting try and finishing it off in the oven for 30 mins*






It was so tasty...the herbs boogie with the potatoes and and the textures and little pockets of flavour are wonderfully distinctive.  Its a bit like foodie pass the parcel, a little gift present in every chomp!  I just wish my photography could do it justice.











4 Comments:

Laura,  28 January 2013 08:23   Best Blogger Tips

I love the look of this recipe, but it doesn't say how much water to use to make the batter. Could you elaborate? Thanks! Great blog!

india leigh 30 January 2013 09:14   Best Blogger Tips

@Laura

Hello Laura, Thanks for visiting my blog! Sorry, I omitted to list the amount of water..oops. The desired consistency you are aiming for is that of a batter, a little thicker than a pancake batter. Begin with 3/4 of a cup and see how that is. Add up to 1 cup. The odd thing with flour is that humidity and altitude can alter recipes a bit. Give it a go and let me know how you like it. x

David Lee 21 February 2014 07:17   Best Blogger Tips

This is a great recipe. In the end I went a bit off of the recipe…but the guidance regarding the batter being thick as really important.

Thanks for posting this recipe. I will certainly make it again.

Peace,
david

india leigh 21 February 2014 13:28   Best Blogger Tips

@David Lee

Hey David,

I'm so happy you enjoyed the recipe! I am curious what your version was?
India :)

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. THANK YOU!

Subcribe to comments to be notified of replies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

All the photography is by me unless otherwise stated. Please do not use photos without permission from me. When used please mention aveganobsession. Thanks for understanding. x

StatCount

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Best Blogger Tips