A Vegan Obsession. Powered by Blogger.

Hot 'n' zesty sriracha tofu - Secret Recipe Club challenge


September already!  In an attempt to push out any thoughts of the oncoming British winter (brrr) I got busy delving around on the blog of This Mama Cooks, my 2nd project for The Secret Recipe Club.  My first is here to get you up to speed on what the SRC is all about.

After poking around her website a bit I was a quite in awe of Anne-marie Nichols of This Mama Cooks, and her many years of freelance food writing credits.  Wow! Kudos to her ability to make her PASSION work for her.  It was a bit of a challenge for me to find a recipe to play with as she, by her own admission, is all about the meat.  Being a torch barer for healthy eating and low-fat eating though, she had a few vegan dishes on her website but I wanted to try something new, so I rang a circle around one of her husbands favourite dishes and set to work veganizing Anne-marie's sriracha chicken skewers

The Internet availed me with a couple of recipes for the Sriracha sauce (my, by the looks of it you Americans love your sriracha sauce..there's even a dedicated cookbook!).  Bonzai Aphrodite had a recipe for a raw vegan version and Viet World Kitchen 'fast' and 'fermented' versions> I learnt that basically the sauce is named after the Thai town it hailed from and it is a hot sauce, typically made from sun-ripened chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt.

Can I be honest?  I've never tried sriracha sauce, so I've no idea what it tastes like.  I tried hard to imagine what This Mama Cooks (but tofu'd)...this is my virgin foray into the hot world of sriracha.  This Mama Cooks' original recipe here.   I adapted different elements from her recipe, and incorporated some of the ideas from the sauce recipes I mentioned above.  The recipe is low-fat, vegan, sugar and gluten free. Green lights all round!

Sticky, zesty Sriracha tofu

2 medium heat red chili
1 red bell or long Romano pepper
1/4 cup fruit syrup
2 prunes (for depth)
3 tbs tamari sauce
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1/2 lime
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt

450g extra firm tofu
3 tbs sesame seeds
1 tsp arrowroot
zest of 1 lime

4 - 6 prepared BBQ skewers (soaked)

Preheat oven 350 degrees




1. I tested the heat of the chili and decided to keep the seeds of one and discard the seeds from the other (I don't like 'blow the doors off' heat).  Bonzai Aphrodite offered a tip and advised keeping the crown of the chili (omit the stalk) as it adds depth of flavour.  I roughly chopped and put it along with all the other ingredients, through to the tofu,  into the food processor.




2. Prepare the tofu by wrapping it in kitchen towel and pressing it between two plates for an hour to reduce the water content.
3. cube the tofu and marinate in 4 tbs of the sauce (keep the rest in a to use for other recipes) for 1 hour
4.Place tofu on an oil baking tray and pour the marinade into a saucepan
5. heat with the arrowroot.  Remove immediately once reached boiling (it will thicken. But if overcooked the arrowroot will loose its thickness)
6.coat the tofu in the sriracha and then sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
7.slide onto the skewers and bake for 40 mins or until the tofu is firm and the coating sticky.
8. garnish with zest of 1 lime.
9. I served with brown rice cooked with coconut milk, coriander and lime zest.







I loved the sauce and the recipe left me with 1/2 jar of the stuff to use on other recipes.  I'm thinking poured over a kale stir fry, spooned onto a baked sweet potato with Daiya cheese or for dipping.  I think I'd try this recipe with tempeh too. 

What other ways do you use with your sauce?

I'd love (love, love) to hear from you your views on how my recipe compares to the 'real' thing.



The Secret Recipe Club is such a fun way of getting to know other food bloggers and set yourself a challenge once a month.  If you want to join us then sign up here



27 Comments:

Bizzy B. Bakes 12 September 2011 05:55   Best Blogger Tips

I admit it. I am not a fan of tofu but you made it so appealing. I can't tell you, I am ready to step in and make it but just maybe.........

Yours looks ever so tasty.

Deeba PAB 12 September 2011 07:35   Best Blogger Tips

YUM YUM YUM...I love what you picked from Anne's blog, and I've love to try this with either cottage cheese or chicken. I'm HUNGRY!!

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! 12 September 2011 08:08   Best Blogger Tips

I love that you made your own sriracha sauce as the sugar has always bothered me. (I tell myself that it really isn't that much since I rarely use more than a few drops.)

You've done a beautiful job! Thanks for being my SRC buddy.

Carolyn 12 September 2011 08:21   Best Blogger Tips

I like this recipe! We eat tofu once a week or so, and I can always use new ways to cook it. Great pick for the SRC!

India-leigh 12 September 2011 09:56   Best Blogger Tips

@Bizzy B. Bakes

thank you Bizzy B! I hope you do try it (the extra-firm tofu is best..some freeze it before use to improve the texture). Have you experimented with tempeh? it has a firmer texture and is a very good substitute for chicken, it has bite. x

India-leigh 12 September 2011 09:58   Best Blogger Tips

@Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks!

thanks Anne-Marie! I shall be visiting your blog again as that pistacio crust you used for chicken is going to be hugging some tofu someday soon. x

India-leigh 12 September 2011 09:58   Best Blogger Tips

@Carolyn

thanks Carolyn. I will check out your tofu recipes for some inspiration too. x

Lisa 12 September 2011 10:35   Best Blogger Tips

I just recently started eating and liking tofu. I'm in love with the spicy sriracha glaze. Will definitely try this! Fantastic choice for the SRC!

judee@glutenfreeA-Z 12 September 2011 11:20   Best Blogger Tips

Love your pictures and the tofu looks so delicious. Can't wait to try it. Great choice.

Lisa~~ 12 September 2011 18:23   Best Blogger Tips

What a delicious looking recipe and the sauce sounds amazing.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Jo 12 September 2011 21:46   Best Blogger Tips

Your sauce looks great and the tofu looks amazing!

chow vegan 12 September 2011 22:00   Best Blogger Tips

Oh yeah, I love sriracha sauce, it's so good! And great job on making your own, I just use the bottle stuff on everything. Beautiful looking tofu! Yum, yum, yum! :-)

India-leigh 13 September 2011 05:39   Best Blogger Tips

@chow vegan


It is SO worth making your own. I was tickled pink with it! Have you any sriracha recipes on your website me thinks? I will go investigate x

India-leigh 13 September 2011 05:40   Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa~~

thanks Lisa, will pop over and see your Welsh cakes whilst humming Tom Jones 'green green grass of home'! x

Sara 13 September 2011 12:36   Best Blogger Tips

This sounds fantastic! Love hearing about how you "veganized" the recipe! :)

Angela @ Vegangela 15 September 2011 04:21   Best Blogger Tips

YUM, this looks amazing! It almost looks sushi-ish to me for some reason. Really elegant. Bookmarked to try soon... loving your blog, so glad to be in touch!

Holly 15 September 2011 06:41   Best Blogger Tips

That's so cool that you made your own sauce! I think sometimes I'm so used to just buying those sauces that I forget that you can make it all yourself and customize. Great pick!

Rituparna 15 September 2011 09:47   Best Blogger Tips

Oh the colour of those chillies is brilliant. The tofu looks delectable. This recipe is a must try.

Katrina 15 September 2011 22:31   Best Blogger Tips

I'm not a huge fan of tofu, but I think it's because I've never had it prepared well--this looks great!

India-leigh 16 September 2011 00:34   Best Blogger Tips

@Sara

Hey Sara, thanks for stopping by

India-leigh 16 September 2011 00:36   Best Blogger Tips

@Holly

Holly, I know what you mean. I can be the same. It was so easy though and I must admit I felt v.proud of myself when I had the jar of homemade sauce waiting i the fridge

India-leigh 16 September 2011 00:37   Best Blogger Tips

@Rituparna

Hello Rituparna, thanks. Do let me know how yours turns out. x

India-leigh 16 September 2011 00:40   Best Blogger Tips

@Katrina

Hello Katrina, if you get the extra firm tofu it is so much better. Also, pressing out any excess water helps. Have you tried tempeh? It is fermented (so good for your gut) and much more dense with a slightly nutty taste? You may prefer that. :)

Vivian - Let's Try These... 20 September 2011 07:58   Best Blogger Tips

What a great way to make this meat recipe work for you! fabulous!

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. THANK YOU!

Subcribe to comments to be notified of replies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

All the photography is by me unless otherwise stated. Please do not use photos without permission from me. When used please mention aveganobsession. Thanks for understanding. x

StatCount

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Best Blogger Tips