Sage Organic Vegan Bistro - Part 1

So, finally, I'm unpacked.  Back in my own kitchen.  Coveting my Magimix, stroking my spiralizer, polishing my pans and gazing lovingly at my hand blender.  As soon as the jetlag wears off, and I can stay awake long enough to broil, bake, stir fry, chop, dice and read a few steamy cook books.... I'll be back in the game.  Meanwhile, as promised, I want to talk Sage.

I'd planned two days stay in Silverlake, my favourite neighbourhood of LA, on my way out of LAX. I had two places to visit..... SAGE ORGANIC VEGAN BISTRO and NATURE MART bulk bin in Los Feliz (apparently owned by one and the same).  I wanted to stock up on American goodies to stash at my house in the UK.....an attempt to appease my pining for California and stuff myself silly with good vegan fayre for the journey home... just because I could. 
My friend Stan, more colourful than a paint catalogue, and I hot footed it down to super hip and trendy ECHO PARK and arrived just as they were opening at 5pm (I was too impatient to wait any longer).  I have to say the staff were exceptionally attentive, sweet and fun.  Stan is an unrestrained flirt and he got to work on the staff, simultaneously shocking and charming them...meanwhile,  I was floating in my own little piece of heaven, deliciously agonizing over the menu.

I asked the waitress's advice and she suggested buffalo croquettes or jalapeno and  DAIYA CHEEZ wontons to start.  We ordered both.  Stan decided on the falafel bowl entree and I plumped for the Jamaican jerk burger.  The restaurant was light, bright and airy, good for people watching (if you are able to take your eyes off the food and menu... unlike me).  The place was full of the most amazing smells and I was wriggling in my chair in anticipation.  Just as well Stan was conducting a dazzling performance teasing the staff, to avert my attention, or I may have gone a little bit doolaly with hunger.



The chefs knocked up the food super quick; the wontons and croquettes arrived, looking 'prom night' gorgeous, and I was ready to plunge right in.  The wontons were perfectly crisp, the cheez was deliciously tangy and rich, the jalapeno delivered a playful kick.  They were so damn tasty, the horseradish dip with fennel tops added a fun layer of flavour.  The heat made our noses tingle.  Wooohoo!  Fabulous.  Food to make you giggle.






The buffalo croquettes were so good too.  Interesting...akin to a falafel with a luscious buffalo sauce and a sour 'cream'.  At this point my face was a picture, I looked like I'd won the Lotto...




Once Stan had restrained me from licking the plate, I finally released my grip and let the waitress take our empty dishes back to the kitchen.  In no time the mains were hot footing it over to our table.  What followed, for me, was a food equivalent to a religious experience.  Jesus...the Jamaican Jerk burger was, in Stan's words, 'TO LIVE FOR'! 



Like an eye popping country scene or the vast expanse of the grand canyon, I just couldn't get the photo's to do it justice.  Believe me...this is the BEST burger I've tasted.  Black bean and walnut patty, jerked portobella mushrooms and on top luscious caramelized onions and leeks.  Cavorting alongside was a glamorous mango saffron aoli. The burger was so flavoursome, so rich....the texture....I'm lost for words.  Some people weep with joy at the sight of a Venus de Milo, or when they hear the orchestra play Bach, or watch a ballet..me, I could of wept with joy at the taste, the unami of this entree. BRAVO, BRAVO! The kale and potato chips were icing on the cake..so to speak.  I didn't even want to sully my mouth with any other flavours, so refused Stan's offer to try his falafel bowl.  He did report that the flavours were good, especially the red pepper hummus, but the falafel a little dry.  He did tell our waiter so perhaps this may have been addressed. 


For dessert I couldn't resist the ice cream.  All vegan, made by KINDKREME.  Once I'd had a tiny sample of all of them I decided to have a scoop of the one with oats and raisins in (can't quite remember the name), made glossy and delectable with a drizzle of raw salted caramel topping.  Lovely. Lovely, lovely!


I LOVE SAGE ORGANIC VEGAN BISTRO SO MUCH I WANT TO MARRY IT!  Before we'd even got out the door to head home I'd decided to return the next day.....  .  Watch out for Sage Vegan Part Deux!

1 comment:

martha said...

that looks delicious

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...