Day 4 of Vegan MoFo 2013 -
I hope you don't mind but we are still focussing on Berlin. I did want to present you with a recipe today as I thought I was moving in to the housesit I am at for September (in the city of my youth!). Alas, the dates went skewed and I don't move in until tomorrow. More hanging out time with my Mother is good, but..less time in the kitchen…..not so good. So I have a restaurant review for you, from the Berlin that captured my heart and messed with my waistline!
I was coming to the end of my time in Berlin and with such an abundance of vegan restaurants I was forced to make choices (I know, I know, what a great dilemma to have!). It was a toss up between Kopps and Viasko. I'd made my mind up for Kopps but a last minute word from a friend nudged me over to the latter.
Viasko is set in an old Berliners pub, down a few steps and across from a park. It was not easy to find. The road it is on crosses several streets and was a bit confusing. Me and my bike got there in the end though.
It was a warm evening and I was near humming with contentment. Being gluten free can be a
It was to be my last evening meal in Berlin. I crossed my fingers hoping it would be good. Some reviews on Happy Cow had spoken of sulky, hipster staff and bad service. I thought I'd found this to be true when the waitress first arrived at my table. But she broke into a smile and was so helpful and nice. In fact the whole place had a relaxed atmosphere. The tables outside are long and strangers mixed to sit and enjoy the company and the breeze.
I was watching waiter take plates, piled high to the other diners. They looked so good. When mine arrived you'd have thought I'd been handed the Crown Jewels. My face lit up like only a food fools does. But it looked so good! And, do you know what?, it was good. Incredible in fact. I don't know how they made their vinaigrette but it dressed the salad couture style. The eggplant rolls almost brought a watery tear to my eyes. They were warm, roasted, silky. The stuffing was unbelievable. The seasoning was perfect pitch, and I haven't a clue what they added to the walnut paste-type-cream inside but I'd sell my grandmother for the recipe!
I followed it with a creme caramel. I love the texture of creme caramel, cool, smooth. It was perfectly sweetened and fragrant with vanilla. Yum.
I thought I'd leave you with these two little doggie darlings. Berliners bike everywhere, I saw kids sat on handlebars driven by their dads, delivery bikers, tandem bikers, and even bikers with their cute pets. Adorable!
Erkelenzdamm 49, 10999 Berlin
For more Berlin food porn..



18 comments:
The green salad with walnut pate stuffed eggplant rolls looks amazing, mouth watering. I can almost taste it!
@Jasmine Trinity
Hi Jasmine,
Seriously, they were amazing. I'm going to try and recreate them soon!
India
Another delicious looking Berlin meal! The doggies in the basket is so cute! :-)
Squeee, a basket of dogs! How awesome. I love Berlin and Viasko is one of my favourite places, I'm going back in October and I can't wait!
Please, keep posting about Berlin!
I didn't try Viasko, but everybody told me it's an amazing place where to eat and that panna cotta does look tempting!
I definitively need to come back!
I love the Viasko! Last time I ordered some ravioli that were amazing. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is their service. There was sand in my food and they didn't even apologise after I mentioned it. Only something like "Well, okay." That was pretty weird.
Ahhhh Berliner dogs! Also these photos are gorgeous and I want to jump into the screen and eat them.
I didn't realize Berlin was so vegan friendly! All that food looks amazing.
And yay for cute doggies!!
@chow vegan
hey chow, aren't they? The dark one, I swear was posing!
@vegan.in.brighton
Hey VI Brighton,
Jealous you are going to Berlin in October!! Take me with you!!
@thevegankitchenofdrcaligari
Hey DrCaligari,
I do have a few more morsels from Berlin up my sleeve! ;) Viasko is so amazing. I heard many a beautiful tale of their brunches too! I think I may become a Viasko restaurant stalker when I go back.
@Mihl
Hi Mihl,
Vegan Ravioli….my goodness, but Ooh, that is not good to hear. Sand in the food?! That is not good, not even when it is expected when you are sitting on a beach!
@Nicole
Nicole, I have no doubt, with the way that technology is currently advancing, that 'jumping into the screen' and eating is going to be commonplace in say….4 years? Dreaming on it!!
@Kylie - FotV
Hi Kylie,
Berlin is probably the vegan capital of Europe! But something is rumbling everywhere and vegans seem to be taking over the world. Nothing but good news there then! Go..see Berlin. Send me food parcels!
I haven't been to Berlin for a few years, only in 2009 (I blogged about it, I don't know if the restaurants are still open today). It's nice to see new restaurants popping up. I'm currently traveling in Spain documenting on vegan groceries & of course, new eateries. Have fun in Berlin!
Hi there, I am attempting to visit all the blogs participating in this years Vegan MoFo. I love your posts, but must say that the two doggies, just steal the show.
I also loved the eggplant rolls, they sound wonderful. I look forward to visiting again. Take care. Tracy
@veganmiam.com
Hi Vegan Miam!
Thanks for stopping by. It would be interesting to see how many of the places you visited/ate in Berlin in 2009 are still churning out deliciousness! I don't really know about Spain. I'm going to educate myself via your blog now! Thanks
India :)
@stairwaytovegan
Stairwaytovegan, hello!
You made me laugh. i've been upstaged by two cute puppies! I'm heading over to visit you back.
India :)
Post a Comment