Lucky Leek - Rather Decent Food In Berlin [with very poor photos!] - Vegan Mofo 2013



MoFo Day 3
If you read yesterdays post you'll know I was flying back from Berlin.  I'm back.  Drowning among a month's worth of post and a whole heap of crap I dumped at my mother's house before high tailing it off.  I'm overwhelmed.  My brain is dashing around in my skull to try and compute where the bloody hell I am NOW!  I've taken solace in a bright little cafe in St.Albans. I think this is called 'burying my head in the sand'.

I am going to comfort myself by telling you about a fabulous gourmet vegan restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin.  It's  such a pretty area.  It feels so relaxed and the tree lined streets are full of gorgeous little independent shops, cafes and (not loud) bars. 
Lucky Leek is run and owned by Josita Hartanto.  Her restaurant motto is simple, she uses fresh, local, seasonal and ever changing dishes to delight her guests. It did delight. Josita has written a cookbook, full of gorgeous recipes with beautifully shot photos. 
There were a few gluten free dishes to choose from.  The staff all spoke English (THANK YOU!).  The only 'con' to many, many 'pros', the waiter bring me a gazpacho soup with brochette on wheat bread but, luckily, I asked just to check and they realised their mistake and swiftly whisked it away.  They brought me the potato soup instead.  It was drizzled with pesto and they'd scattered over tempeh croutons (great idea..I'm stealing that one!)  It was utterly delicious.




For the main course I had a beet carpacio salad with the most delicious, potato salad, it was delicate and full of flavour.  The peached coloured swirly cream thing in the picture was a red pepper homous paste.  It was one of those meals that takes an age to eat just because you want to saviour each flavour nuance and texture.  My dining companion had a truffle pasta dish, which she enjoyed, but did confess she'd wished she'd ordered what I had.





Dessert was crazy good.  So sweet.  It was raw.  A little pot of berry sorbet.  Vegan ice cream on a raw tulle. A darling little slice of raw mango cheesecake.  The base was the best raw almond base I've had.  All perfectly executed and, in the manner of team work, all perfectly polished off by moi.






Doesn't she look adorable?!  

If you find yourself in Berlin, admid the overwhelming choice of vegan restaurants, make this a definite visit. Such a nice place to relax and linger.


Kollwitzstraße 54
10405 Berlin, Germany ‎

6 comments:

janessa said...

Yum! That raw dessert looks amazing! Berlin is so cool.

chow vegan said...

Hope you're a little more recovered from your trip. Even with the blurry photos, I can still see the food is nicely presented. So nice to have such lovely vegan food in Berlin. :-)

india leigh said...

@janessa

Hey Jessica, thanks for stopping by. Berlin IS so cool. Are you there now you lucky thing?!

india leigh said...

@chow vegan

Hey Chow, my friend. Have you been to Berlin? It's amazing, if you don't already know, a must on anyones list!
You are not entering MoFo :( so hoping you would be.

Erinwiko said...

I love Lucky Leek! Such amazing, creative food- but the lighting is so not blogger friendly. I just bought Josita's cookbook last week and I can't wait to get started cooking from it!

india leigh said...

@Erinwiko

Hey Erinwiko! Thanks for stopping to say hello. I love that you love Lucky Leek too!! When were you in Berlin. And have I missed something..either you speak German or Josita has her book in English somewhere. Where?!

I've just checked out your blog. Loving your MoFo road trip post.
xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...