I am a sucker for salty snacks that pack a crunch..I'd been hooked on soya beans lately, I wanted to wean myself off them and find an alternative. I'd tried roasted chickpeas before, bought from a store but they threatened to cost me dear in dentist bills. HARD!? Like eating rocks.
This morning I decided to be adventurous (oh the headiness of it all) and have a go at making my own.
I grabbed a carton of garbanzos (chick peas) and drained off the water. Rolled the little mites over a kitchen towel and then threw them on a baking sheet, doused liberally with herbsalt and ground black pepper, and popped them into my fan oven at 200 degrees with fan. I left the overndoor open slightly so they wouldn't steam. It took about 20mins to get them nice and crunchy on the outside. I returned to jiggle them around the baking sheet to let moisture escape two or three times.
I was pleased with the result and went on to polish off half of the results within minutes.
The are healthier than potato chips/crisps....go on give them a go. I also tried them with a dusting of chili powder and made a savoury sprinkle for my soup and pasta by grinding the roasted beans in a coffee grinder. I expect curry powder would be a good seasoning too.
What is your favourite salty snack?
No comments:
Post a Comment