Introducing the fabulous HUMMUS SISTERS!



I am addicted to hummus. I am a Gemini. I get bored.  I like to be creative (OK so my veggie drawing skills need some work! and YES that is what the inside of a tomato looks like).  The equation  A+G+B+C = solution...THE HUMMUS LAB.


My kitchen looked like a bomb site after I'd put all these together, and I did spin around on the spot wondering what I was doing more than once.  But I managed to pull it off.


Isn't it beautiful written in Arabic...  حمّص بطحينة




 

For the basic hummus I used

1 can organic chickpeas - drained
1 tsp tahini
1 large garlic clove
juice of half a lemon
1tps salt


*note: this is quite a low fat recipe.  Make it to your taste, you can add more tahini or a swirl of olive oil on top too to make it more unctuous**

Once you have the basic recipe you can then get creative with your flavours.  I made 3 alternatives here today.  I'll be your muse and suggest a few others at the end (of this post, not the end of time...that would be silly).



the dazzling hummus sisters







Ms Sundried tomato hummus


To make sundried tomato hummus just add as many as you like (the type in oil in a jar are best).  For a smokey flavour you could add smoked paprika.





 
Miss Carrot & Cumin hummus



To add a colourful twist to your basic recipe add a carrot and blend (add more tahini as the carrot will add moisture and make it a bit 'wet') and decorate it with freshly ground roasted cumin.  It is sweet, aromatic and delicious.



Miss Olive Noir Hummus




Yes, you did guess right...add olives, BUT for this recipe I also added a spoon of raw black tahini with is coarse and adds a interesting dimension.




Other suggestions - mustard, chili spiked or wasabi hummus.  You know you can use other white beans too, and even omit the beany element altogether and use zucchini instead.


For a whole wealth of of hummus factoids for you beany paste geeks.....here is the Wikipedia low down.



How do you hummus?











No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...