SILKY, MOUTHWATERING MOUSSAKA - moo-less and vegan!




I dragged out the contents of my fridge.  Stared hard at a huddle of vegetables of varying shapes and colours.  Let out an audible hmmmm.  The aubergine (eggplant...and a few other aka's as Wikipedia now explains) seemed to sing out among the crowd, 'use me, use me'.  I wanted to make something filling, deeply satisfying and with layers of flavour......   Of course!  Obviously, a deep, deliriously tasty moussaka!  Well bop me on the head with an large member of the night shade family.


I escorted the aubergine and its other bed-fellows for this dish, to the chopping board.  Here is what happened next...


Aubergine...the love story. Moussaka with polenta crust.   In 4 acts; the tomato layer, the white sauce, the polenta crust and the grand finale.    

                                                                                          SERVES 4

The cast
1 large aubergine
1 large onion
5 large tomatoes
1 small celeriac (understudies could be a large potato or jicima)
1 zucchini (courgette)
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp fresh mint
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs arrowroot
1/2 pint unsweetend vegan milk (I used rice milk)
1 tbs vegan butter
1 pinch of grated nutmeg
1 bay leaf
2 tbs quick cook polenta
1 tbs vegan cheese (I used Vegan Parmesan..I think it's best) 

salt & ground black or white pepper


*Note; the polenta crust is optional, you could just sprinkle with cheese or breadcrumbs.  add libbing is welcomed.


Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees and let the play begin...





Slice the aubergine 1/2 cm thick and brush with olive oil (some recipes say to salt them and leave to draw out the moisture... trust me, it isn't necesary) Place under the grill (broiler) until slightly browned on both sides. Slice (lengthways), oil and grill the zucchini too. Slice the celeriac 1/2 cm.  Steam until cooked.   Set aside. These are your layers.

The tomato sauce;
Score a line around the top of the tomatoes and put them in a bowl.  Cover with boiling water.  After 10 mins or so take them out of the water and use a knife to peel the skin off.  Chop and set aside.
Finely chop the onions and garlic.  Fry the onions until becoming golden and then add the garlic, careful not to burn.  Add the chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and 1 bay leaf, the herbs, cinnamon, a good pinch of salt and pepper stir and simmer for 15mins. Set aside.



The white sauce;
In a saucepan add the vegan butter, arrowroot, 1/2 tsp ground black or white pepper and bring to the heat.  Stir/whisk until butter is melted.  Slowly incorporate the vegan 'milk', whisking vigorously to prevent lumps.  Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.  Grate over a  generous pinch of nutmeg.  Stir and set aside.

The polenta parmasan crust;
Simmer 2 cups of water and slowly pour in the polenta whilst stirring. Add the Parmesan.  Bring to boil and nicely thickened. Season to taste.  What's next...you guessed it...set aside.

The finale;

Grab yourself a beautiful, oven-proof dish.  Time to layer.  On the bottom place one layer of celeriac and then proceed with the stack; a layer of tomato sauce, layer of aubergine, tomato sauce, celeriac, tomato sauce, zucchini, aubergine, tomato, celeriac, tomato and finally zucchini.  Pour over the white sauce, it should be quite thick and then the final polenta.



Place into the oven and bake for 25-30mins.  Serve.   I found it's is even better if you prepare the night before (to completing the stacks stage) and bake just before serving. 



It such a tasty dish and has lovely textures, and all the spices and herbs work so well with the veggies.  The white sauce layer and the tangy, cheesy crust and chewy and divine!  There does seem to be a lot of ingredients but they are in the most part, standard store cupboard ingredients and...honestly it's worth it, you will be whooping with pleasure at each silky mouthful!


I'd be interested to know how yours turns out.  I LOVE comments....don't be shy!



2 comments:

Carey Jane Clark said...

This was soooo yummy. I substituted nutritional yeast for the parm cheese, since I can't buy that where I live, and I didn't see instructions for how to prepare the zucchini, so I just did like the eggplant, but cut it thinner. Thanks for sharing!

india leigh said...

@Carey Jane Clark

Hey Carey Jane Clark, so happy you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for pointing out about the zucchini, you were exactly right to treat it like the aubergine. I've not made this for ages. It would be perfect comfort food for the changing weather. Thanks! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...