'Come on luv, get yer luverly apples... a bag for a paand'. 'Aye lads, treat yer missis to a luuvlee bag a strawbs'.... Those Cockney barrow boys can 'arf showt. Gordon Bennett, ones turned into a Londoner, fetch the butler and have him request the presence of ones elocution teacher..and don't spare the horses!
As I was dashing through London the other day terribly late for an appointment and very keen to get there on time, I managed to somehow stretch time and uncover a little pocket of darling minutes and I utilized them to peek in on a few stalls at www.boroughmarket.org.uk. It's famous for it's artisan foods and crowds packed in like tofu mock sardines. I didn't get to see all of the stalls but I spotted a few little gems.
One said gem was the The Honest Carrot....doff your cap...lovely girl baking up a storm for the love of veggie grub. To be perfectly honest I didn't have the spare change to purchase as I'd used my piggy bank money for something else, but it all looked lovingly crafted.
Remember Mr Magoo, the vertically challenged teeny weeny fella with the bulbous nose and the tendency to bump into furniture? Wasn't he fab?! well, this has nothing to do with him apart from the sharing of a surname. Sorry. BUT I can tell you about Mini Magoo (no relation! BECAUSE HE WAS A CARTOON) who is obsessed with museli. I tried her gluten free, oat free granuseli (see what she did there?...) and it was crunchy, sweet, chewy, running amok with flavour and I danced the can can in joy as I ate it. Nice.
Last but by no means least, I loitered for rather too long at this stall, scooping up more than my fair share of the MOLE POBLANO PASTE made by Cool Chile (bravo, what a lovely use of words!). It was thick, spicy...gonna kick your ass...just a tiny bit'... chocolatly greatness. I wanted me some but, but...right next to it was, rarer in the UK than leftovers at a vegan dinner party, TAMALE FLOUR. God I was TORN! After a little angst party thrown in the honor of the dilemma, the flour won. I love tamales more than life (please note use of vast exaggeration to replace the authors poor library of descriptive words and lazy attitude to source one via www.dictionary.com) and want to dedicate a basket in my freezer and a temporary home in my belly to them. I will definitely be dashing back, braving the crowds and the customary bruised ribs to return to the market with many 'use again..love your planet' bags to fill up. 'Roll awt the barra....g
Part 2 will follow sometime or other, be patient, it is apparently a virtue.
1 comment:
Awesome finds! I love stumbling across little vegan gems like that. :-)
Post a Comment