Butternut squash gnocchi in a rich sage & mushroom sauce



gnocchi ~ derived from the Italian word 'nocca' meaning knuckle or knot of wood.  I have only eaten gnocchi once before.  Years ago.  I poked around in my memory bank to remember when this was, but to no avail, all I could remember was a the taste.  I was not impressed.  Since turning vegan over 11 years ago I never entertained the idea of ever eating it again, not just because the Italians use eggs but also starchy carbs and heavy pastas do not leave me feeling very vibrant. Probably why I don't consider Italy as a possible favourite food destination right now (though I wouldn't baulk at a free trip to the Italian Lakes!.  But lately,  whilst following my favourite vegan websites and scouting for ideas for something new, gnocchi keep on popping up.  Finally, when Lisa aka Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives entered this into the m the Secret Recipe Club , she wrote  such a raving report about butternut squash gnocchi, I found my tipping point and had to make it. (jumping up and down excitedly) I am SO GLAD I did.

I did a little bit of tinkering with the recipe.  I wanted the gnocchi to be VEGAN, gluten free and the sauce to be dreamily delicious and low fat.  Can't be doing with a sauce made from nearly all butter (even if it is vegan), so I used olive oil instead and greatly reduced the quantity.        I cannot wait to make it again.


butternut squash gnocchi with mushroom and sage sauce
serves 3-4
ingredients

gnocchi
approx 3 cups/ 1.2 kg butternut squash peeled and cubed.
2 cups sorghum flour (or plain if gluten-free is not a concern for you)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt


mushroom sauce
2 Portobello mushrooms
2 small shallots or red onion
4 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs sorghum flour
1 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (or 6 fresh leaves chopped) dried sage.  I prefer the subtlety of the dried sage.  I think it allows the mushrooms and gnocchi to take centre stage.
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp salt

method
1.steam the squash until soft then mash.
2. add the flour, garlic powder and salt to the mash and using your hands form a dough.
3. dust your counter top and divide the dough into 6-8 balls.
4. roll each ball between your palms to form a sausage.  Roll the sausage gentle with your finger tips onto your floured surface until it is 1 inch thick.  Cut the sausage into 1.5 inch sections.  Repeat until all balls are cut.
5. this is optional..if you want to create a ridge effect to style your gnocchi then use a fork to gently indent a pattern on the top.









6. gently plunge into boiling, slightly salted water for 12-15 mins.




make the beautiful sauce..

1. saute the finely chopped onions in a tbs of olive oil until soft.
2. slice the mushrooms and add to the onions and fry for approx 8 minutes.
3. add the sage and the flour, nutritional yeast and seasoning and gently stir into the mushrooms.
4. slowly add the water whilst gently stirring the mushroom mix.  Simmer for 6-8 minutes..adding a little more water if necessary.
5. add the drained (retain the cooking water...see below for a top tip) gnocchi to the sauce and hey presto.  Serve.



*top tip*
I retained the cooking water.  It had thickened beautifully and turned golden from the squash.  With a scoop of the mushroom sauce I transformed it into a soup.  Fit for a flavourful, heart warming soup the next day. 

Even though none of the ingredients in this dish are strangers to me, the flavours and textures are truly unique.  I am now, well and truly dotty about gnocchi (well this recipe anyway).

9 comments:

theveganronin said...

Oh my goodness. I've changed my mind. I want you to cook for me instead! =)

Mark rodel-duffy said...

Wonderful!! Thank you!

blessedmama said...

What beautiful photography of this meal! I love how you made the pasta so healthy, and what a delicious sauce. Thumbs up from me, for sure!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION said...

@theveganronin

veganronin - I'd be HONOURED! ;)

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION said...

@Mark rodel-duffy

Sir Mark...why thank YOU. Happy to please.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION said...

@blessedmama

dear blessedmama...well, I am pirouetting with happiness at your comment...(curtsey) (smiles) x

Lisa said...

I didn't see how much water to add to the sauce - did I miss it?? I can't wait to try this recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Tried to make this tonight. Had a hell of a time trying to roll the dough out in thin strips. Eventually gave up and plopped blobs of dough in the boiling water. Tasted ok if a bit doughy. In the future, any hints for thin lines? Otherwise, I'm just going to make them al the size of dimes.

india leigh said...

@Anonymous

Hey anonymous….hmm, if you floured the board and gently rolled it should be ok. it could be that my hands are always cold so forming the sausage shape may be easier (?). My counter top is a cold slab too, so I wonder if it would be easier if you chilled the dough for 1 hour first? Give that a go (and I will too) and let me know if that is better. Perhaps the gnocchi was a bit too large to cook through? I suspect the 'cold' forming technique is the answer. Please let me know if it isn't.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...