In all the times I've visited San Francisco, this is the first time I ventured to the Ferry Building Farmers Market. I just didn't seem to get around to it before. My reason for heading there was the love of a fragrant, steaming tamale, wrapped in a corn husk and a craving that needed satisfying. I LOVE tamales. But (put your fingers in your ears...I am going to blow my own trumpet) I haven't really find many that rival those made with my own fair hands...with the exception (so far) of La Guerra Tamalera in Los Angeles...I had high hopes for Donna's Tamales so I spirited my trusty steed and peddled like fury down to the Embarcadero.
Uncustomary, I walked up and down surveying the stalls of vegetables and artisan foods first, and didn't beeline straight for sustenance. I spotted a few vegan goodies, a company called Hodo Soy who operate from their beanery in Oakland to produce fresh tofu and tofu 'skin'. The skin that forms in the tofu making process that they then cut into strips and marinate. So good. Also a Marin chick Marin Gourmet who makes Middle Eastern dips and falafel.
| butternut squash and black bean, with salsas and slaw |
| my sweet lunch date |
1 comment:
Glad you made it out to this farmers market - it's a great one. Did you get to try the vegan donuts from Pepples?
Post a Comment