Summery and light, Sweet Onion Tart - RAW & VEGAN




The seasons.
I am finally getting it.  Us humans can try all we like to be in control but, basically, nature has us by the whatnot's! 
Grey wet weather = hermit.  Slow like slug.  FORCE required to exercise
Cold = storing food, hamster like.  FORCE required to exercise
Overcast = mental fog.  FORCE required to think straight AND exercise
SUN = and the living is easy!!!  Running around at will with energy of a kitten!

I also tried to deny the ebb and flow of life for quite some time too.  PUSH PUSH PUSH.  Silly girl.  I now realise sometimes life can be FAST and sometimes it can be SLOW.  Sustainability = PACING YOURSELF, and stop overdoing it and take time to just....RELAX and chill.  I used to fear that I'd become a sloth if I let go of the regime but I realise, after time, I just became weary.  NOW, I see that when the time is right for me to run, I will run.  When I need to WALK I will walk.  When I need to sleep in.  I SLEEP in.  NATURE is in charge.  For me, when I set the pace, I was just draining my ADRENALS.  I have been working on replenishing my wonderful system for 6 weeks now and thing that is most clear is that I need to have a dialogue with my body and be respectful, grateful and KIND.  LISTEN to its needs.  It is rewarding me (MORE OF THAT IN THE COMING MONTHS).

The raw food diet is still on the top of my eating habits lately. Raw or 'living foods' are classified as wholefoods, lots of colourful vegetables and fruit. Nuts and seeds. Foods are left gloriously naked or 'prepared', rather than cooked.  Foods are said to loose their enzymatic qualities and nutritional benefits are lost upon cooking so, on a raw food diet, nothing is 'cooked' above 115 degrees. It isn't a regime that I am following, or new belief system, it is just what my body wants.  I am really starting to get my head around the principles and have begun inventing lots of DELICIOUS new recipes. All 'Raw food' is naturally gluten free and processed sugar free.

This is perfect PICNIC food.  Super light and so summery.  The sweet onions deliver delightful bursts of intense flavour and together heighten the delicate flavours of the whipped filling.  It is, as always, gluten free and vegan.


RAW CARAMELISED ONION TART



Ingredients

Base
1 cup sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat.  Buckwheat is a funky triangular fruit seed and totally gluten free.  It has been said that the seed helps to reduce glucose levels in the blood, thought beneficial to manage diabetes. It is tasty and wonderfully crunchy when dehydrated.
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 coconut oil (if solid put into a glass bowl over a pan of hot water to melt)
1/4 tsp salt

filling
1/2 cucumber
1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

topping
Raw dehydrated caramelised onions - recipe here

Method

1. to make the base, put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until mixture holds together when pressed between your fingers.  Press the mix into the bottom of a 9' spring form pan. Place in the fridge to set.
2. for the filling.  Rough chop the garlic and put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Carefully, spoon the mix onto the base and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. allow the onions to cool and cover the top of the tart.  Use a sharp knife to cut into slices. 

Serve with a green salad.  A potato and chive salad would pair well with this too.

Can be made ahead.  Will keep in fridge for 4-5 days.

Next time I will add some fresh basil to the filling.  You could also sub the cucumber for chopped and deseeded tomatoes.



Happy summer! Long may it grace us. x

1 comment:

chow vegan said...

I'll been trying out raw foods a bit more myself and so far I've liked everything I've tried. The tart looks super yummy! I'll have to make it sometime. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...