Thankfully, as opposed to Oaxaca, when a restaurant is listed as vegetarian in Mexcio DF. It (as I've discovered so far) means it really is. The other day and friend and I decided to check out YUG Vegetariano. It set up in the city in 1963. Got to love those hippies!
The service was great and the waiter was so utterly patient with all my questions (perfectly translated by said friend). I won't show you his dishes as he went heavy on the queso (cheese) but here are mine.
As you can see below, I ploughed through the sopa de flor de calabaza (squash flower soup) and only remembered to take a picture half way down the bowl (After a day of wandering around Chapultepec Park, I was famished!) The squash flowers and tortillas strips gave the soup a wonderful texture. It felt very healthy.
Next enchiladas. Now I look at the plate above, it looks rather a large portion. I feel a bit embarrassed to say I scoffed the lot. But scoff I did. They filled the enchiladas with stir fried vegetables and poured over a man size portion of mole, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Filling (to burst point), satisfying and flavoursome.
They change the menu daily. When I went they had no vegan gluten free postres (desserts). Probably just as well!
sorry the photo is not so pretty!
Yug Vegetariano

1 comment:
Wow, yummy looking food! I've never heard of squash flower soup before. I would have eaten that whole plate of enchiladas too. :-)
Post a Comment