Being a foodie obessive I would of course choose to visit a festival promising free samples of vegan food and drink, foregoing the opportunity to be a tourist cooing at Fishermans Wharfs or being hit in the face with one of those 2ft camera lenses whilst on a cable car. I will, but all in the fullness of time and after I've checked out the FOOD!
http://www.greenfestivals.org/ were hosting their 9th year in San Fran and I was travelling my beloved US and just had to go. I wasn't disapointed, it was chock full of yums to satisfy my vegan bod. I picked on tiny morsels, like a sparrow for three hours, wandering up and down aisles showcasing Green eco building products, organic clothing and funky purses made of tire rubber, and nipping between the raw super food, chocolate, colourful rice and washing it all down with ass kicking ginger kombucha. I was in heaven, focussed on my all important task, and ready to battle the crowds to make new taste discoveries and fulfill a few comforting familar ones.
The one overiding thing I observed about my fellow earth and food lovers was the easy going nature of the American foodies in comparrison to their UK counterparts; they didn't jostle for a place at the front of the exhibits, greedily grabbing little chunks of chocolate or compostible cups of green drinks and acai juice. No, there was not a food rage, angsty peep in sight. How utterly refreshing. It gave an air of a food scene that is well established and here for good, in all sense of the word. It is why my second obession, below every vegan, is the USA.
Ok, getting down to the Green treasures that filled my tummy and weighted down my free green tote. The Queen of the event for me was Lydia's Organics http://www.lydiaslovinfoods.com/ . Their Kale Krunchies are AMAZING! In one mouthful you are delivered a delicate crunch, then a satiating chew, wth subtle green flavour and a finale of the sunflowers nutty oil. Oh my. Filling and good value at only $6.50 which is better priced than some on the market. I headed back for dinner, to stand among the queues and wait for my Varda plate to be created. The picture does it no justice at all and I wandered whether to include it; I decided I would. It was very genoursly laid out, with a bed of tart cabbage and beets, it was layered up to a crown of perfectly ripe avocado, dense flavourful crackers and soft 'rice' creatively made from cauliflower and cabbage. It packed so many flavours and satisfied totally. Twas so good, I have set my internal GPS to Fairfax and am going to head over there for more and also get me some redwood love and take a few hikes. It's on the To Do list.
I returned to the Green Festival the following day, stomach still satisfied from the day before and with a purpose to get a Breema massage and take in the event at a more steady pace. I've a green tote full of business cards, samples and info cards to check out. As soon as I do I will let you in on the scoop.
No comments:
Post a Comment