TAMALE VIRGIN

I'm still dancing around the kitchen. Squash, tamales, lentils and artichoke my dance partners following my culinary whims. 

It was snowing the other day and I was feeling creative so I decided to have a go at making tamales. First attempt.... a mild success.  At least I know what to repeat and what not to.  7 out of 10 for taste, 5 out of ten for presentation and 10 out of 10 for FUN.  Still trying to upgrade photography skills...

Leek, sundried tomato, chive & tahini tamale filling


Tamales getting steamy in the kitchen!
I also made a sweet tamal, stuffed with cinnamon spiced red beans and sweetened with prune puree.  I'd run out of dates to make a syrup so I grabbed the prune pouch instead.  Actually, they worked out quite well. 

As is my obsessive nature, I now have a million ideas of what to marry my masa with.  Tamale alchemy...work in progress.

I'd love to hear what is your favourite tamale stuffing?  Do you have ideas on the tip of your tongue you want to share?  From the wondrous to the bizarre....

p.s A great tip from my talented friend Cathy Brown at The Soul Kitchen in Idyllwild for reheating tamales...yes, its best in the steamer but if you just cannot wait to scoff and time is premium...soak kitchen towel in water and wrap the tamale. Microwave for 2mins.  Good as fresh.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...