It was a GORGEOUS bright day...so, quite out of character, I opted for tea and a chat at my favourite pub at the beach before heading up Ship Street to Aloka. I'd been before but they'd changed their hours, menus etc. They used to have a Raw Food restaurant upstairs and self service buffet (which was varied and v.good) downstairs. Alas (BOO!) the buffet is now only served until 5pm.
Hey ho, go with the flow....We were both now ravenous and wanted to get onto the business of eating asap. So, we ordered chips and dips whilst we waited for our mains. The waitress came over with something unexpected...The amuse bouche in the first picture. It was exactly that..amusing for my mouth, though being the fun bunny that I am I could have handled a bit more 'amusing'. Cucumbers in a vinaigrette with teeny weeny little cubes of butter nut squash and carrot. Ha ha.
The chips took a bit to long to come but they were good. Raw crackers and raw hummus with pea shoots and spinach. The spoon is cradling olive oil.
For our entree we decided (impressively swiftly..though we may have been swayed by it being the cheapest on the menu), to go for the mezze plate.
Doesn't it look gorgeous! The chef was giving it all his love in the kitchen! The plate was generous (though it wouldn't have been enough if we'd not spent a happy few minutes plunging raw crackers into the starter). I cannot remember it all (not so easy to give 100% concentration when nattering with a friend), but there were two types of hummus, soup, crostini, raw crackers, olives and socca bread and a chutney which I didn't really like as I found the rosemary and thyme mix a bit 'medicinal' tasting.
| ahh, how pretty! Fresh Gazpacho soup |
| Delicious socca bread (i think?) , made with chickpeas (or that is what it tasted like) and an awesome, grin inducing broccoli soup with garlic oil...I could have eaten a whole pan of that! |
| Olives, raw tatziki & hummus |
The decor is wonderful, the waitresses do all they can to be helpful, and the chef is obvioiusly talented and passionate. The other mains looked delicious and inventive so I will go back and try them one day. I must say, with Terre a Terre & Food For Friends only yards away, all three restaurants are a bit samey in terms of £££. Aloka's buffet used to offer extremely tasty raw & cooked vegetarian/vegan food at an affordable price (based on weight). Making them a good 'eat out mid-week' place. They will now go on my 'special dinner out' list. Which is a shame but I will go to their buffet again (served until 5pm). I think I got used to having it so good in California...blow your mind food for a lot less dosh.
1 comment:
Wow, all of the dishes look amazing! Beautifully plated too! and so healthy and fresh looking! :-)
Post a Comment