So what does a vegan eat? Well, that is like asking Londoners what does a Londoner eat and expecting the answer to be the same. What I am going to tell you is what this vegan eats or, to be more precise, what she is eating this week.
Ta da! My 7 day window into whats cooking in my kitchen. I've chosen this week because a) I just thought of it , and b) I'm not planning on eating out this week.
So, day 1 - I started without you...sorry. Yesterday was day one but I was busy cooking/eating it so I didn't post it on my blog.
For lunch I prepared a bowl of Cauliflower & lime pickle soup.
This recipe is so simple ANYONE could make it. You basically CHOP & POP it all into a pot.
This recipe is for 2. To make it for 4 just double the ingredients.
1/2 Cauliflower
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup white beans
1/2 onion ( I used a large shallot)
2 sticks celery
1 clove garlic
1 tsp roasted and ground cumin (fresh is best)
3 cups water (this will differ depending on size of cauliflower, make sure you add just enough to cover ingredients)
salt & pepper to your liking
CHOP & POP into the pan. Boil until soft....approx 20mins. Blend. Serve with 1 tsp of lime pickle per bowl. If you swirl it in you get lovely ripples of tart flavour and a backward kick!
True to form I was thinking about dinner whilst eating lunch (Should I serve some therapy with that?) and I decided on mushroom risotto.
I like to use carnaroli rice. I think it 'creams' really well.
To make the risotto I used
200g carnaroli rice
150g sliced mushrooms
1000ml (approx) vegan stock
50 ml white wine or apple cider vinegar (I used acv as I like the acidity and it is supposed to be great for you)
1 finely chopped shallot
2 finely chopped cloves garlic
2 tbs fresh chopped parsley
2 tbs fresh chopped thyme or tarragon (remove leaves from stalks)
1/2 tbs olive oil for mushrooms
1 tbs olive oil for scallions
I LOVE making risotto. I turn on the radio and listen to some great music or a play and then happily get chopping and stirring. Cooking for the soul...
1. heat oil in a pan and add sliced mushrooms along with herbs and fry until soft.
2. remove from pan. Finely chop half of them and leave the rest as they are.
3. heat oil in a pan and saute scallion and garlic until soft.
4. add rice and fry for about 2 minutes
5. add wine or ACV and cook until absorbed (this helps to open the grain and for it to release its starches to make your risotto creamy)
6. add a ladle of stock (ensure the stock is kept on a low heat so it is hot when added) and the fine chopped mushrooms and stir until liquid is absorbed
7. keep adding a ladle of stock at a time and gently stirring.
8. when all the stock is absorbed and the rice is soft (but not mushy) add the remaining mushrooms and heat through.
9. Serve. You can add an extra smattering of chopped parsley to lift the flavour if you wish.
There are some many tasty combos you can use for risotto...another fave is butternut squash and fried sage risotto...What is your favourite?
Sorry the pics are a bit dark..one of those large unwieldy silver disc things is on the wish list....
For pudding/dessert/sweet call it what you will I had vegan yogurt and banana. I didn't photograph it as I was sure you wouldn't be interested in that!
Hmm, now what shall I do for DAY 2?.....
1 comment:
Wow, that's an amazing looking Day 1! Mushroom risotto is the best! Can't wait to see Day 2! :-)
Post a Comment