I found muse by the hundreds down in Brighton, UK last weekend at the Zombie Festival. What a hoot...read about it here. They inspired me to get home and do some baking. I absolutely LOVED making these savory Halloween BITES! I agree though, my cashew cheese piping skills have room for improvement.
The SOUP is SPICY BUTTERNUT SQUASH. You can get the recipe through this wormhole (you can of course use pumpkin instead of the butternut squash. If you want to do some piping and draw cobwebs (YES, that IS a cobweb on the soup!) then enter this darkened room and find the secret recipe here .
The mini gingerless, unbread, gluten free, savoury SKELETON biscuits were another wee invention of mine.
Makes about 40 mini skeletons
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup potato flour
*if gluten free is not a concern use 1 3/4 cup plain flour
3 tbs cold vegan butter
1 tbs mango chutney
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup cold vegan milk (I used Kara Coconut milk)
Experiments in the lab
1. sift the flours, salt, chili powder, all spice and baking powder into a bowl
2. add the 'butter' and mango chutney and lightly use fingertips to mix to a crumb
3. add the 'milk' and form into a ball (add more if necessary) - you are looking for a pastry consistency that holds together
4. chill for minimum of 10 minutes
5. roll out onto a board to about 1/8 inch or 2-3 mm thick (I use baking parchment on top and underneath the pastry and roll out between the sheets as is a great way to save on cleaning up and it also prevents sticking to the surface)
6. use your cutter to cut out the shapes and place on a parchment covered baking sheet
7.bake for 12-15minutes until just turning a golden colour and nice and crisp when turned out onto a rack and cooled.
8. use the cashew cream to decorate in a far more arty way than I managed.
Happy Halloweeen! x
2 comments:
Looks spooky but yummy! I bet it would be fun to serve the soup in a pumpkin too. :-)
@chow vegan
Hey Chow, what a spectacular idea! I am haunted that I didn't think of it first. Happy Halloween x
Post a Comment