Mushroom Stroganoff


This recipe has altered its identity more times than Madonna, since its first recorded conception back in 1861 in Russia.  The original recipe (according to Wikipedia) contained neither mushrooms or onions.  Surprisingly it was actually in China where it grew in popularity and then the Chinese immigrants that brought it Westwards. 

My mum made a carni version when I was a little girl in ponytails.  Jamie Oliver uses brandy.  My cupboards, like me, are teetotal so I used white wine vinegar.  This version is a mix of a couple of recipes this one  and  and this one, and a bit of freestyle.  Next time I make it I am going to try substituting the tofu with plain soya yogurt and see how the taste varies. 

Gluten Free Mushroom Stroganoff   

Serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS

1 cup sliced mushrooms (portabella work well for their nutty, earthy flavour)
1 medium onion diced
3 tbs gluten free flour (I used teff as it was all I had in store...next time I'd use sorghum to keep the sauce pale)
1 tbs mustard powder
2 tbs tamari (gf soy sauce)
2 tbs vegan cheese
1 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs vegan butter
1 tbs fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup tofu - blended smooth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

METHOD

1. saute the onions and mushrooms in a pot
2.sprinkle the vegetables with the flour and stir for a minute
3.add 1/2 cup water and the remaining ingredients
4. cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes (adding a little more water if necessary)


I served it with brown rice.  Then the next day I had the left-overs.  I added a cup of soya milk, 1/2 a vegan stock cube and transformed it into a sort of thick soup.  I served it with a buttery (vegan) dollop of mashed, peppery swede and a cabbage salad.


I know, I know,  it IS a rather large dollop...it almost required Sherpas and crampons to scale it.  But... the mash was a happy pairing with the stroganoff.

1 comment:

chow vegan said...

Looks yummy! I like how you can transform the leftovers into a soup. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...