Happy Kitchen were the very first organic, vegan, sugar-free, gluten free bakers that I happened across in London, one warm summer night during the Southwark Festival 4 years ago. The girls were so nice and their cakes a lovely treat. When I recently discovered they had opened a cafe, in addition to their stall at www.broadwaymarket.co.uk I immediately put them down in my 'go there get cake' diary. Yesterday, twas the be the day.
You can hop on the the overland train from Liverpool St Station to London Fields map (approx 7 mins). Happy Kitchen are right outside the exit. Or, like me, make an adventure of it. Walk from Liverpool Street, wander through uber hip Shoreditch, stop at Hoxton Square for a breather. Sip a beverage of your choice, marvel at the hipsters creative facial hair adornment, and and then walk up the Hackney Road towards London Fields. I am making it my business to walk everywhere I can so I get to know London and not the inside of tube stations. I've never been to Hackney. It's full of shoe and bag shops. I have no idea why. I love street art. Mr bunny (above) greeted me on my trails.
The HK is like Dr Who's tardis. Located in an archway under the train line, you push open the door and a bright world opens up before you. Their slogan is 'building community through food', it certainly feels like it. I immediately wanted to work there!
I tried their creamy beetroot hummus, a scoop of pad thai salad and a serving of the tagine. All were very tasty and fresh. The staff were friendly and clearly loved Happy Kitchen's produce.
The waitress raved about the bakewell cupcakes. So, despite my stomach being FULL to bursting. I found room in my 'cake belly' to try a mound of sweet gluten-free goodness.
No false advertising here. The cupcake was perfect. Jammy. Almondy. Airy, light sponge, sweetened beautifully, over a thin, melt-in-your-mouth pastry base.
I only thing I wished for that didn't materialise, by the wave of my wand, was a nice comfy sofa. But then again, I probably would have never left. And when you leave.... it opens up the opportunity to return. Soon I hope. With a 'bag for life' shopping bag to fill up with goodies and packets of produce from the bulk bins.
2 comments:
Hello India,
I came across you wonderful blog, what a joy !
I love the "Mr Bunny" of your post about Happy Kitchen in London Fields. Do you remember where you find him ?
I would be happy to know where the rabbit is.
Thanks in advance !
Best wishes,
Britta
@Brit
hello Britta!
Ah, the bunny…I have seen this muralist in many countries now. This was on the Hackney Road, London. Next to a shop called Vintroville. The artist is called ROA. I hope he's still there!
India
Post a Comment