I love making tagine. It takes the minimum of effort, it fills your home with fragrant, warm aromas and the flavours are so rewarding. As ever, I try and make it as simple to make as possible whilst retaining that authentic taste of Morocco. Every time I make this I think of the hyperactive, dusty streets of Marrakesh, the children running behind you, offering to help you find your way through the rabbit warren maze of the mapless city. The vivid russets and mustard coloured conical mounds of spices and the tinny beeps of motorbike bells that signal the constant movement of fuming motorbikes navigating their way amongst the footfalls of tourists, spindly legged spiky kids, beggars and vendors. But beside the fumes and pungent spices, I sum Marrakesh up with hands. Hands that wave, hands that show, hands that want to draw you in, gestures that replace language and the ubiquitous souvenirs swinging from shop displays, formed upon twinkling earrings, t-shirts and wall hangings, of the Hand of Fatima. Known throughout the Middle East to signify protection.
I digress. Back to the tagine. You don't have to be too specific on the vegetables, just don't go too overboard on the root veggies as they would render the whole thing far too sweet. I do have a recipe for, and this is it's title, '7 vegetable tagine'. This was an amalgamation of what was in my fridge.
serves 3-4
Ingredients
1.2 kg chopped Butternut squash (I wash it and leave the skin on. Perfectly good to do so. If you still want to peel it, it is up to you)
1 medium onion
1 sml leek, chopped
5 skinned tomatoes - How to skin a tomato - in this link
6 chopped organic dried apricots
1 can chickpeas
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp harissa paste or 1 tsp chili powder (if you have Berbere seasoning then all the better)
1 tsp salt
method
Other recipes may say to saute the onions and leeks and that's fine. I've just thrown it all in a pot and honestly, I cannot taste the difference. I am going to show you the simplest way. Most stews are best reheated the 2nd day. This tagine is no exception. I guess it gives the flavours time to get acquainted. More water vapourises when hitting the heat again so it concentrates the flavours. This tagine was made in the morning, I gave it time to huddle its bank of flavours, and then gently reheated for dinner.
1. on a low heat, dry roast the spices in your cook pot for 30 seconds. Add all of the vegetables and remaining ingredients. Season. Stir for a couple of minutes. Add 2-3 cups of water and bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 35-40 minutes. Add more water if needed but be careful not to drown it.
2.serve with millet, quinoa or whatever you like. Ooh, and how about a sprinkling of warm, oily, toasted, sweet pinenuts?
1 comment:
The tagine looks so tasty, I love them at restaurants. But haven't had a chance to try making them at home yet. :-)
Post a Comment