Christmas feasting - Part 2 - XMAS PUDDINGS, CAKES & POPS Allergy friendly, healthy, dairy-free and DELICIOUS


A week left to go...you've not made a Christmas pudding but your taste memory is driving you crazy and you are CRAVING!  Oh, but it's so calorific and full of sugar and gluten and takes ages to prepare' you say. ' OH NO IT DOESN'T!' I reply in hearty Panto stylee! Not when you make it my way.  Not only that I will show you how to make 3 puddings (free from sugar, gluten and dairy) from one base....Jingle right on over here and I'll show you how.


Ingredients for the mincemeat base
4 cloves, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds & 4 cardamon pods (discard the green husks) - freshly ground
1/2 tsp wattle seed *a spice from Australia that gives a chocolaty, slightly bitter coffee flavour - totally optional
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 freshly squeezed juice from an orange
2 tbs orange zest
the zest from 1/2 lemon
5 pitied dates
3 organic dried apricots
1/4 cup raisins
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbs brown rice syrup (or agave or coconut sugar)
1/2 cup apple juice or one fresh grated dessert apple
2 tbs Marvell or similar veggie/vegan Brandy
shaving of nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt

Now, to explain, the ingredients above make the BASE that can be added to make Xmas pudding and Christmas cake, or stand alone it is a (seemingly) indulgent, perfectly balanced, filling for mince pies (the British have been eating mince pies...and yes, they originally contained meat..eh, gross!...for hundreds of years)....just pop a spoon of the mix into pastry cases or even wonton wrappers and you've made mince pies.

You can also make Christmas Pudding by adding the following.  I did mention earlier it was lower in calories than a 'standard' recipe.  Why?  Because I use a higher flour to fruit ratio and it is also lower carbs because of the use of nut flours, instead of grain, which are lower in carbs.  The puds are gluten and dairy free too.  I promise you it tastes of Christmas and is dense and oh so moist.  The scent as you steam it, fills the house with the lively burst of oranges and sweet cinnamon.

To make the Xmas pudding, add these ingredients to the base, fruit mixture  (for an 8' steam pudding bowl - serves 4-6)
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup chestnut flour (you can substitute this for almond flour or brown rice flour if you can't source the chestnut flour)
1/2 cup coconut powder (or ground dessicated coconut)
2 tbs tapioca flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tsp orange oil (or 1 tbs zest)
2 tbs roasted pine nuts
3 drops Frankincense (optional) you can use 1 tsp vanilla as an alternative
3 tbs brown rice syrup or agave etc.

1.mix all the ingredients together 2.  and dollop the mix into a bowl that has been greased and then lined with tin foil and then inside that baking parchment.  Ensure you have left a good over hang of baking foil/paper so that you can tuck the pudding in as snug as a bug in a rug. 3. Pop n the lid and simmer for 2 hours.  I performed a little experiment as I wondered if this was an unduly long time and something that was passed down word of mouth and never questioned...so I popped some of the mix into a wrap of foil and parchment, made a foil hammock and made wings to hang it over the side of the pot.   The pudding cooked in half the time!  You do what you feel best (it of course looks the part when steamed in a bowl).
to flame up the Brandy in the pudding, steam for 2 hours and when heat a spoon of Brandy, set it alight and then pour it over the top.  Guaranteed to induce some 'ooohs and ahhs'.  I've a confession to make...the flame went out before I'd fumbled for the on button on my camera and captured the transparent blue glow on the puddings peak....the flame you see is a tea light standing onto of a shot glass...I knew you'd spot the faux pas so best to fess up.







And the last minute Christmas cake is a doddle using half THE BASE mincemeat mixture, plus these additional ingredients - makes 7' cake.  Use a springform pan.  Preheat oven to 200  (I don't have a picture of this as used some for the final recipe here, and a friend and I polished of the rest with some dandelion & burdock fizz.

1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs soy lecithin or bread crumbs

bake for about 15 mins or until a piece of dried spaghetti or a cocktail stick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 mins before removing from pan.  A frosting with orange zest and a tsp of orange oil would be lovely, settled in peaks over the top of the cake or you can be traditional and cover with icing.


The Pièce de résistance ...... Christmas Cake Pops



Incredibly simple to make (but don't tell anyone)  1. take your left over Christmas pud or cake and roll sponge into small balls, put them in the fridge to chill for at least an hour..  2.Melt some dark, bitter chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and melt slowly in a bowl, sitting in boiling water. 3. take balls from the fridge and dip into the melted chocolate.  The chill from the cold cake will harden the chocolate very rapidly.  Place each one on a parchment lined baking and when all are dressed in chocolate carefully put them in the fridge to harden.  They are so lovely as a little sweet amuse bouche or you can wrap them and give as gifts.


I've a couple more Xmas dessert recipes up my sleeve that I'd like to share.  If I get time I'll extend the Christmas recipes to a Part 4.

Have a happy weekend. x   Sign up for emails to make sure you get Christmas Feasting Part 3.  Get Christmas Feasting Part 1 here

1 comment:

chow vegan said...

I don't think I've ever had Christmas pudding before. But I want to make it just so I can have those Christmas Cake Pops! They look amazing! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...