Let's Get Fermenting


As the last days of my latest jaunt to San Francisco were folding down, I was eager to gather as much cooking, or this this case, uncooking, knowledge that I possibly could.  I loathe being without any of the food stuffs I love so much in the US.  When I arrive, eager off the plane to my beloved California, I rush to the store to purchase my edible loot.  Kombucha is up there with my 'top 5 most craved for prouducts' that make me want to flash-dance  up the street with glee.  This visit  I was determind to take control, and learn to make it myself.  A quick Google search threw me a list of classes and..bingo..I found one across the Bay in Oakland.  Raw Bay Area  The anticipation of gaining a whole new knowledge skillset got me fizzing...just like my dear old fermented beverage.



Heather Haxo-Phillips runs Raw East Bay. Heather,a raw food chef, not only runs these courses privately, but also teaches for Whole Foods Market and the highly praised Cafe Gratitude.   Her years of experience were evident in her course delivery.  Executed with professionalism, she commanded rapt attention and stuffed so much information into the class. I felt relieved that we had an info packet to take home with us, so I could fill in the gaps my camera and notebook may not have captured. 

A table full of kombucha mothers, or scobys' as they are known (the mold starter for the fermentation process), kefir grains, nut mylk bags and a range of glossy books on the subject,  were available to buy so our experiments in the world of fermentation could begin as soon as we got home.  A vital service, as some humans these days have the attention span of a fickle butterfly!
Focus on Fermentation was a demonstration class.  I learned all about probiotics, and how to make coconut yogurt, seed cheeses and even a short demo on the art of rolling your own 'sushi'.


A row of flavoured kimchi.


Heather set one of the delegates to work, massaging cabbage for sauerkraut
.

coconut yogurt - thick and unctuous, topped with a generous, fragrant strawberry.  A granola cracker at the bottom offered a lovely crunch.


At the end of the demonstration we were handed a silver platter of about 7 different types of fermented foods.   Consuming them delivered all the vim I needed to cycle like fury back to the Bart, and the imminent arrival of my train to deliver me back to San Francisco.

I am very, very keen to begin experimenting. When I've come up with a few adapted recipes of my own, you will be the first to know! Mason jars have been sourced.  Starters have been ordered.  Coconut yogurt and kombucha is on its way! 


Have you made any fermented foods? Do you have any tips for me? I'd love for you to share your experiences.

2 comments:

Vegetabull said...

I've made kim chee and seed cheese that were fermented. The thing I love most is how simple most of my favorite fermented food area. It's really just about patience. :) This class looked awesome. Wish I had one near me.

Jessica

Clare Gilsenan said...

Hi Honey

Looks fantastic. My mouth is watering and wanting to try some of these out. Thanks for your inspiration.

Much love Clare x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...