Om Shan Tea


I had walked passed www.omshantea.com many times, on previous visits to San Francisco, on my way to the organic mega store on 14th Street.  The tea house used to have thick curtains up at it's windows, masking the interior, leaving to your imagination what lay behind.  A year ago, on a previous visit, I'd poked my head around the door. I was not compelled to enter. But I flew by it whilst biking to the Embarcadero when I arrived in SF in January and the curtains were gone, the light was flooding the place. I immediately put it on my hit list of places to visit.  I then went on their website and saw they were also serving VEGAN food, all gluten free.  Double whammy!

It was early when my friend Bob and I met up to have lunch, so we benefited from generous attention from the very friendly waitress.  The menu consists of bowls that you make up  to your delectation, from small and medium sized 'sides'.  A great idea I thought.  The sides were quite macrobiotic - steamed greens, squash, quinoa etc. and made comforting partners to nuts, seeds, sauces, berries, cacao nibs and dates to name a few on a long list of choices. 

We didn't have to wait too long.  The waitress presented us with our meal with such care.  The earthenware, cutlery and our Tulsi tea in glass pots and tiny Chinese cups, made for a real aesthetic little two-person feast.  How different you feel when someone 'serves' you rather than being handed your meal by someone who doesn't appreciate the food or enjoy their job.  I feel it.  I only want people who are dizzy in love with good food to feed me.  After all, feeding someone IS an expression of love.

A note - the tea is avg. $8 per pot.  You get a  stylish vacuuming pot of hot water ,so it makes many cups.  Plenty for two people.  If you are alone, then $8 is a whole lotta dollars for one person (IMHO).


chickpea miso soup with yams

delicious tart, crunchy sauerkraut
They are open from 11am - Midnight and have regular events and Tea concerts.  I LOVE them, and only wish I'd not left it until my final day in San Francisco to visit.


I had to add a picture of this rather spectacular God who greets you upon locating the light-switch in the loo.  Isn't he magnificient!

In their words -

 'Our Teahouse- An urban tea oasis where fine teas, organic foods, and cultural events are offered to inspire healing, conscious community and holistic wellness'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this place! I first met the Om Shan Tea Tribe at an event two summers ago, was excited to visit the cafe in SF. This is quite a unique place. Not only is the ambiance, art and decor beautiful and authentically present, but their variety and knowledge of tea is impressive! Really wonderful environment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...