Custard Apple from Mother Nature
Sometimes mother nature just gives you a gentle nudge to remind you that 'She' is the greatest gastronomist.
Our huge Asian store in Brighton is a great place for me to dig around and unearth unusual, new (to me) ingredients. Whilst I took temporary relief from the hot yellow sun last weekend, I spotted a round, blackened 'thing' among the crates of bright limes and towers of humongous grapefruits. It stood out like a rough, sore thumb. It looked almost like a curled, magnified woodlice, or perhaps a fir cone! Not really the stuff to get ones mouth watering! A beautiful young Indian server informed me it was a custard apple. 'Try it. It is delicious' he assured me with enthusiasm. He prompted again, noticing my sceptical face. 'It is ninety-nine pence…..what do you have to loose?' He smiled and passed one to me across the stack of citrus.
I paid for the strange fruit and carried it home. After putting down my bags and stuffing my shopping into cupboards and drawers I gingerly peeled open the willing hard skin. I had no idea what to expect. Magic and wonder filled my little bright kitchen. Inside was a slightly gritty cream toned flesh. Elongated triangles surrounded shiny black beads. With care, I sucked the flesh from the pip. Wow. It was sweet, with hints of vanilla and apple. Like mounds of homemade custard infused with gentle swirls of English apple sauce. Extraordinarily worthy of its title.
Autopilot started my brain whirring to devise a delectable dessert with this tropical Asian fruit. I saw visions of raw sweet almond and coconut tart bases filled with pillows of the pale mashed fruit. Or drizzled with a citrus and caramel sauce. Then I stopped short. Rapped my knuckle to my furrowed brow. Silly me. Why tamper with perfection?!
So, this is a guest post by Mother Nature herself. She proudly presents the Custard Apple. A magnificent mono dessert that needs no alteration or accompaniment.
Sweet….filling….and delicate.
Low fat, sugar free, bustling with goodness. Have you ever tasted a custard apple? Let me know in the comments below.
love
India Leigh x
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment