Hey loves. It's nearly the weekend! I've got a dish for you that is fresh and delicious.
A few days ago, deep in recipe creation mode, I had some ideas of flavours I wanted to taste, and differing textures I wanted to experience in a recipe. My purpose was raw..impactful, food with full on flavour. I wanted a recipe that had an exclamation mark alongside. One that you'd enjoy. I'm quite pleased with what I came up with.
Yes, there are a few stages. No, this isn't a five minute weeknight meal (unless you had a batch of corn cakes in the freezer, and a jar of my raw mole chillin' in the fridge. THEN you could make it in ten, or there about).
Really, you want to give this recipe a bash. It's vibrant. Complex. Satisfying AND comforting. Entertainment on a plate. TOTALLY worth a bit of prep. I am sure you will agree. If nothing else just make the mole and slather it with abandon on EVERYTHING!
Gluten free, healthy, vegan, tasty and kind on the eye. This is my…
Mushroom & Cauliflower Ceviche with Raw Mole and Macadamia Sour Cream on Raw Corn Cakes
Raw Corn cakes
1/2 corn (if frozen then thawed)
1/4 cup flax seed - ground (I use a coffee grinder so it is fresh. Pre milled can go rancid quickly apparently)
1 shallot - minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
DO IT
in a blender, pulse ingredients just until starting to bind so it remains a little coarse. Alternatively, mash with fork or potato masher. Gently form into patties.
Dehydrate for 6 hours or warm gentle on a low oven (temperature low not height wise!)
Raw Mole sauce
1 dried poblano chili - soak for at least 1 hour and retain soak water, remove the seeds or your head will be blown off!
1/4 c pumpkin seeds - ground (in coffee grinder)
1 chopped tomato (I didn't have a tomato one time so I used 2 Tbs puree and 1/4 apple…just sayin')
2 chopped green/spring onions
1 tsp fresh, zingy lime juice
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs carob (you can use cacao powder) powder
1 date - soaked and chopped (if using cacao perhaps up the quantity to 2 or 3 as carob is naturally sweet)
1/2 tsp fresh oregano
1/2 tsp salt..or to taste
DO IT
put all the ingredients into a blend and blend until smooth. You can add a little water to get a 'saucy' consistency, if required. Muy delicioso. I could eat this straight from a jar!
Raw Macadamia sour cream
1 c macadamias (no need to soak)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water
1/4 c lemon juice
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
DO IT
blend until smooth and creamy
Cauliflower & mushrooms
1 small head of cauliflower chopped into bite size pieces. An ebullient squeeze of lime. Pinch of salt. Massage to mix.
1 cup (about 125g) Yellow Oyster mushrooms.
Soak overnight in 5 T tamari. Drain. Squeeze of lime before serving (do not add salt)
Mix the Mushrooms and the Cauliflower in a bowl or, if your prefer just lay the mushrooms on top of the cauliflower). Please, if you are allergic to raw mushrooms then fry for 2 mins!
Layer how ever your mood takes you. I stacked cauliflower and mushrooms, then laid the corn cakes on top, spooned on thick mole and then the cream. A flourish of lime topped it off with a scattering of bright cilantro/coriander.
This recipe is great just as is, and also is the optimum way to get the best nutritional value. Alternatively, if a cooked dish is more to your liking then you can roast the cauliflower for 30 mins. Stir fry the mushrooms and heat through the corn cakes if you wish. Mole is traditionally eaten hot in Mexico but I love the contrasts of heat so personally, I'd keep the mole and of course the sour cream raw. Play with it. It's your dinner and I encourage you to experiment and find what YOU like. After all, recipes are guides not militant doctrine.
I'd love to know if you try it! Let me know in the comments below.
life..what an adventure!
India Leigh xx

1 comment:
What a beautiful looking raw dish!
Sometimes it's totally worth the time to make something so yummy and healthy looking. :-)
Post a Comment