Vegan Glazed 'Ham' with Crisp Brussel & Cranberry Walnut Salad and a dessert pie TO LIVE FOR!



Part 2 of my delicous Xmas Recipes …(all dairy, meat, gluten, sugar and soy free). 


I suggest Part 2 to be either an alternative to Part 1 or for Boxing Day.  This is the day after Christmas the British call Boxing Day.  I have no idea why? Perhaps, when telly first bounced into life, eons ago, when it was black and white, they may have shown boxing on the TV.  Who knows?  Someone does..but not me.   

So, anyway, the is for that day…the day after.  When we are all looking for something lighter to eat, stomachs still distended from the previous day of heavy feasting.  This is what came to mind for me to make.  It still holds a Christmas feeling, using traditional spices, cinnamon, orange and anise.  You could of course ver from all this totally and put on a Middle Eastern feast or an Asian spread, but I think some flavours should be kept for Christmas.  Otherwise, it becomes a time like any other.  I love the smells that fill the house at this time of year and the heat given off by the oven, forever turned up a cooking something.  Yes, today I've combined some raw foods, foods kept vibrant, fresh and full of nutrients but it all still mounts up to an, albeit, lighter meatless Christmas dinner.  Our bodies thank us for it, we feel appreciative of the easing back on quantity and enjoy the flavours only Xmas can bring.

Sticky Glazed Vegan 'Ham' with Star anise and Onion & Rosemary Relish.

After looking at many recipes for Burmese Tofu (all the same) on the web, and reading about some long winded (inexplicable) processes used, I decided to wing it.  It all seemed overly complicated to me.  After I'd successfully made my own version, I then found the video below.  Basically,  Miagi and I seemed to be of the same mind, but I omitted the nutritional yeast and I poured the finished mix directly into an oiled pan and not into a tea towel (didn't understand that part?).   Make this 2-3 days ahead.  It takes a little planning.  But that is one of the elements that make Christmas…taking time (I know, easy for me to say…I don't have 5 children under the age of ten and grandparents to deal with!).   


Ok, now you've done that.  The next step is this…THE GLAZE

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees

Ingredients

5 medjool dates
juice from 1/2 an orange + zest
2 Tbs coconut sugar 
2 Tbs tamari
1 Tbs liquid smoke (if you don't have then sub with 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs mirin (or red wine vinegar)
1 tsp salt
grinding of fresh black pepper
10 star anise

Once the Burmese Tofu has set overnight then it is time to baste it.  Gently turn it out into a larger baking try.  Score the surface in a criss-cross pattern and with a pastry brush, glaze top and sides.  Then stud the beautiful little star anise buttons into the criss-cross.  Bake for 40 mins.   Leave to cool for 30 mins before serving.  The 'crackling' is sticky and delightfully sweet.  Great with some left over Christmas sauces from Part 1 recipes here   or take 10 minutes to cook up this fantastic onion sauce.



Onion Sauce

10 shallots
2 clove garlic
2 Tbs coconut sugar 
2 Tbs red wine vinegar or red wine
2 Tbs fresh rosemary
2 Tbs dried onion (or onion powder)
1 Tbs mustard seeds
4 bay leaves
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Grind the bay leaves, rosemary and dried onion
In a small food processor mince the shallots and garlic (or use a knife)
Pour the oil in a small pan and heat.  Add the onions and garlic until fry for 2 mins.  Stirring.  Add the mustard seeds until the pop.  Then add the ground spices, red wine vinegar and salt and simmer for 5 mins.  Take off the heat. Add the lemon juice.  Stir and then leave to cool.  Pop it into a jar.  Serve

with this gloriously fresh and crunchy….



 Shaved Brussel Sprout & Cranberry Walnut Salad with a Dijon and Lemon dressing.



2 cups sprouts finely sliced
1 cup kale ripped into bite size pieces
handful cranberries
handful of walnuts (soaked and activated if you follow the raw diet), toasted if you like
small fennel bulb finely sliced
zest of half an orange


Dressing
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 yacon syrup or agave
Kosher/pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix and then pour onto the salad.  Massage into the salad for a minute or so.  Then finish with a brief, flourishing squeeze of lemon.

OK…here it is the Xmas finale

I've taken a recipe from my friend Russell James  - (not) Sugar dusted Raw Mince Pies & cashew cream  Joyously, rich and crowd pleasing.  They take over the course of a day to make (if you are dehydrating them) but only minutes to prepare.

I omitted the agave in the base as I wanted the contrast of the non sweet and I don't like really sweet pastry.  I also used a bag of fruit sweetened dried mix berries (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, raisins)  in place of the  dates and apples because I think they perform better.  I put a slug of vegan brandy in the soaking berries too.  I subbed the agave in the cashew cream and used xylitol instead to reduce the calories. The result is the taste of the finest Xmas pudding nestling in a pastry case.  The cashew cream compliments it perfectly.  Santa will love one (or two) of these!






















I hope you have a WONDERFUL Christmas.  See you in 2013!

With love

India xxx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...