Dante's. Weird Fish. Indeed! A Great San Francisco SUPER Vegan Friendly Restaurant.

This place has alluded me in the past.  It opened up.  It closed down. It opened again…. I'd just I left San Francisco days before! It changed it's name. Was bought by 2 new owners. I returned to SF.  It was the first place I headed.  

The menu took some deciphering.  It's not all vegan but has LOTS of plates to choose from. When it a dish has a fish type name..it isn't a fake fish, it's real. Be warned!
Brunch offers lots of scrambles, vegan sausage and chorizo.  Dinner has soups, salads, taco's.  Deep fried and brutally good starters, and VEGAN fish & chips, curries, sand-witches and even vegan desserts.  The Menu is the stuff of bedtime reading (or is that just me?!)


It took some time for my friend and I to choose. The waiter was super helpful (and patient!).  My friend is a great dinner partner.  A fellow foodie, and always happy to have us scavenge off each others plates.  It makes deciding what to have a little easier!

The picture above is battered tofu.  GLUTEN FREE and HELL-A good!  The batter is worthy of some sort of Noteworthy and Delicous Vegan Batter Award.  If no such award exists….  It needs to!  I would wash their dishes for a week to get my mitts on the recipe!   Did I mention the VEGAN tartare sauce?  I nearly cried!  Like, nice, Sunday afternoon movie type tears.  Or 'I'm eating heavenly creamy food/dip' type tears.  The chips were crispy, white potatoes and sweet potatoes. With just the right level of lip smacking deep fried oiliness!




Dante's Weird Fish.  It's a cozy place. 




The rice and beans were so tasty.  Slices of olives gave for a really original flavour.  The rice was as fluffy as a poodle in a parlour!

 Waco Taco
yam, spinach, guacamole, pepitas

This sounds simple, right?  Hats off to the chef.  The yams were mashed and so deeply, homely sweet.  But the real thing was that the flavours were so distinct yet harmonious..balanced. the slaw and pepitas (sunflower seeds) adding vital crunch!
Coconut-curry & banana leaf (tofu-veggie) I opted to forgo the tofu and have 'sock it to me' amounts of veggies!  
Cooked to perfection and seasoned by a condiment-God of some sort!
LOVED < LOVED < LOVED it!   Going to return.SOON.  Inferno or not!

Address: 2193 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Phone:(415) 863-4744
Prices:
$$$$



They also own St Francis Fountains on 24th Street.  I went along, with camera.  Ordered 'The Vegan Thang' (huge pile of potatoes, vegan cheese, guacamole) and a side of the vegan chilli.  Camera was out of juice! Sorry, no photos!
Verdict -   first..a tip.  The small $6 bowl is probably enough for any human.  Belly filling, comfort food.  Delicious! 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...