Last month I was so excited to visit Peta's offices in Oakland, California, to attend a cheese making class with chef and cookbook author Miyoko Schinner. The room was packed with eager home cooks. Miyoko was so fun, giving us great tips and being very generous with the samples the Peta staff handed out to the hungry crowd. She demonstrated how to make her signature nut cheeses. We got to see how to make mozzarella, the taste so close to the dairy version! Sure to fool anyone. A cashew cream cheese, with a few flavour combo's; 'salmon', garlic etc. At the end of her demonstration, she had even more aged cheeses for us to try. The murmurs around the room told me I wasn't the only one who loved them.
Miyoko mingled with the audience afterwards, happy to sign books and answer questions. I'd already reviewed her book (click here) of aged, air dried, almost instant and sauces and fondues so I knew her work well. After seeing how fit she is and how effervescent I wanted to know how she kept in amazing shape. She said, 'I have cheese as an occasional treat, I eat greens everyday and surround myself with loving family and friends'. Well it is certainly working for her!
I am excited to let you know of an event I was invited to, coming up in June, 22nd. 2013, where you can go on a tour with Miyoko. It saddens me I'm not in the country to be able to go. But perhaps you can? If you would like to have the opportunity to go on a vegan Cheese & Wine Tour, in the beautiful Sonoma County, California, with Miyoko. And join a bunch of folk eager to spend the day with one of America's artisan cheese makers..you can. The details below.
p.s If you go, please come back and let us know in the comments box below this post, how it went! Make us all green with envy!
Click here for Facebook Event Page




No comments:
Post a Comment