I'm going to rave about this recipe! If you make it, you will too. Promise.
It is so, so good. Have you ever danced around the kitchen with a dish you've just made? No, me neither.
It is now marching on to Day 13 of Vegan MoFo 2013 (it's a Friday too..eek! but lets forget crazy superstitious nonsense). I wish I'd participated in Vegan MoFo before. I love it. Not just making the food, but the event creates such a lovely community. It is great to visit some of other blogs everyday and see what they are up to. I am amazed at some of the dishes they are creating.
Today's dish was inspired by my travels in Berlin, and a friend, who turned up in a rain shower, on my doorstep, with his wet and panting Border Collie, to present me with a big bowl of freshly picked, glossy black berries. He is one of those friends that seems to have a canny knack of knowing just what I need before I do, and makes sure I get it. So grateful.
Aubergine Walnut Rouleaux (Rolls) with Wild Blackberry, Mustard Vinaigrette
makes about 10-12 rolls
1 large aubergine (eggplant)
Wild Blackberry, Mustard Vinaigrette
1 cup fresh blackberry juice
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs agave syrup
2 tbs rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp gluten free wholegrain mustard
Himalayan (or sea) salt & cracked black pepper to taste
wash and blend the blackberries, strain. pour juice into a jar.
add all the remaining ingredients. mix.
Creamy walnut filling
1 cup of walnuts soaked over night (makes them far easier to digest)
1/2 block (175g) firm silken tofu (if you don't eat soy then you can probably sub with plain, unsweetened almond yogurt that has been left to drain on some muslin)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 garlic clove
salt & cracked black pepper to taste
pop all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
slice the aubergine 1/2 cm thick. Rub over with a little salt. They soak up so much oil so I poured a little oil on a board, mixed with some water and then take the slices and brush both sides on the board. drop a tbs of oil into a pan and then use some kitchen towel to help coat the pan. THEN heat (not before, you'll burn your fingers) the pan and place the slices and fry until golden brown.
When the slices have cooled enough for you to hold them, take a spoon of the filling and roll up the aubergine. Repeat for all of your slices. On your serving dish, spoon over a line of the vinaigrette and gently place the rouleaux onto it.
chilli flakes & paprika for dusting
Serve with fresh organic green beans. Quick blanched in a little boiling water. About 3 mins. Rinse in cold water to halt the cooking process and retain colour.



20 comments:
When I looked at your first photo, I was in awe. This mysterious wild blackerry & mustrard vinagrette looked so attractive! What a cute story that was taken place in Berlin. The dish reminds me of eggplant manicotti with this creamy walnut filling of yours. The organic green beans topped with chili flakes and paprika look perfect as a side dish. Such a beautiful dish.
One more thing, I just saw your post on Yug Vegetariano, DF. I was in DF last year and I love that place. I posted a lot of foods there on my blog if you search, "Yug Vegetariano." I miss DF!
Oh wow, that looks so gorgeous. I'll have to try this filling! I've tried several nuts and seeds in a tofu-cheesy filling, but I don't think I've tried walnuts.
@Randi (laughfrodisiac)
Hey Randi,
Thanks! The walnuts really work so well with the aubergine. Perfect match.
:)
@veganmiam.com
hI Veganmiam,
Thank you!! I will check out manicotti and also your DF blog post. I miss DF too. i'm thinking of returning…
:)
Woah! This looks incredible. I don't know where I'd find blackberry juice but have so many blackberries right now so could probably just blend and strain?
The creamy walnut-tofu filling sounds like the perfect foil to the sweet, tangy sauce.
This is beautiful! I recently discovered that I love eggplant after years of being pretty apathetic towards it. So this is one that wanna try.
Aw, what a great friend! This dish looks like a tasty showstopper -- very impressive!
@coconutandberries
Hi Coconutandberries,
Sorry, I have updated the post..i could have sworn I posted the recipe but I obviously forgot. Sorry!! Yes, just blend and strain the berries.
Let me know if you try it! :)
@luminousvegans
Hello luminousvegans!
thanks for stopping by. I hope you try it. I think eggplant has to be cooked into silky submission to be good. I hope you are converted! :)
@luminousvegans
Hello luminousvegans!
thanks for stopping by. I hope you try it. I think eggplant has to be cooked into silky submission to be good. I hope you are converted! :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
@Bobbie {the vegan crew}
Hi Bobbie,
Yes, he's v.special! my dish…a showstopper?! THANK YOU!! I'm smiling like a fool now. :)
Wow this looks so delicious! It's so beautiful as well.
Post a Comment