Vegan MoFo Day 8 - A Mash Up








All I craved was a big bowl of mash. But, because it was Vegan MoFo Day 8, I couldn't just present you with a plate of fluffy spuds could I?!   So I jazzed it up a bit, with some marinated skillet tempeh, caramelised fried tomatoes and an apple, chilli jam.  It makes it more.. complex?  well, I guess complex is pushing it a bit, but it was nice.

I made the mash with white potatoes and parsnips 2:1 Roughly mashed and  seasoned with Himalayan salt & freshly ground black pepper (no vegan butter..I never think it needs it).  

To give the tempeh depth of flavour I made a marinade.  
3 tbs agave syrup
1/4 tsp onion granules
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tbs walnut oil (or apple sauce if you are oil free)
1/4 tsp salt or tamari sauce
freshly ground black pepper
squeeze of lime

Mix the marinade ingredients.  Thinly slice the tempeh, but not too thin that it crumbles.  Use a pastry brush to coat each side of the tempeh with the mixture.  Put about a tablespoon of oil into a skillet or fry pan to coat the base.  Fry the tempeh for about 2 mins each side.  Set aside.

The tomatoes I sliced in two and popped them into the hot skillet, leaving in the crunchy, roasty bits left from the tempeh.  Fry the open face first until they start to colour and caramelise.  Gently turn them over to fry the other side.  Just for a few minutes until softening a little.

The apple sauce is simple.  Dice a small cooking apple and add 1 tbs of agave syrup (or a dessert apple and add a tsp apple cider vinegar and no syrup).  1/4 tsp (or more if you desire/dare) flaked chilli.  1/4 tsp salt. Add 1/4 cup water. Cook until the apple just begins to break down.  You want the dice to remain and not disperse into a puree. Take off heat and allow to cool a little.

Arrange the mash, tempeh and tomatoes on a plate, as artfully as you can muster.  Add the apple sauce.

I kid myself not that I'm going to be awarded any Michelin Stars for this, but I hope you enjoy!

Gluten free, of course.







10 comments:

rika@vm said...

Potato mash-Love it-especially with maldon salt and crushed multi-colored peppercorns and loads of vegan margarine! What an elegant Sunday morning breakfast! Enjoy!

Lindsay said...

Yum! I've got to try that marinade :)

chow vegan said...

Jazzy looking mash! Nothing is better than comfort food with a little extra something in it. :-)

india leigh said...

@veganmiam.com

thanks Veganmiam! :)

india leigh said...

@Lindsay

let us know what you think of it Lindsay! :)

india leigh said...

@Lindsay

let us know what you think of it Lindsay! :)

india leigh said...

@chow vegan

thanks Chow! x

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE tempeh with mashed potatoes!! Definitely going to give your marinade a try.

india leigh said...

@acookinthemaking

Hi acookinthemaking! thanks for stopping by and sharing the tempeh and mash love. Let me know what you think of it! :)

india leigh said...

@acookinthemaking

Hi acookinthemaking! thanks for stopping by and sharing the tempeh and mash love. Let me know what you think of it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...