Last weekend, my friend and I FINALLY decided to visit Woody's Cafe in Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire, this weekend. This is going to sound daft, but though I may traverse thousands of miles using planes, buses, feet and peddle power, just to discover and taste vegan food, but the thirty minute drive from my mothers house when I visit, just seemed too far. Yes, that is illogical!
With the record-breaking storms in the UK (where in the world isn't experiencing weird weather?!) abated (I was in Austin..happily avoiding it all!), the sight of the sun coming out and a friend's belated birthday still to celebrate made me feel like a trip out for the afternoon.
I'd heard about Woody's restaurant before but previously had felt lukewarm about the prospect of eating there. This weekend, it was time. I called ahead to make sure they had some vegan, gluten free dishes on the menu. They reeled off several that sounded nice, so off we went.
Woody's is situated on the banks of a pretty canal, and not the sort of place you'd 'just come across'. The setting is picturesque, with canal boats mored in the quay and a run of dog walkers. It would be perfect on a warmer (and less skwarly) day, to sit outside and eat.
We were wise enough to reserve a table, which was just as well as the place was heaving. The decor is cosy and inviting. The staff attentive, knowledgeable and personable. The food is cooked in front of you in the open kitchen. Everything is fresh. Generous portions. I opted for the Beet Bourguinon and it was really tasty. Packed with fresh mushrooms and puy lentils (I love puy lentils!). The mash was very good but not amazing (I may just be fussy as I've had some mind-blowing mash potato recently). But overall the dish was practically perfect.
The prices are reasonable. £35 for 2 dinners and latte and pot of green tea.
It actually only took me just over 15mins to drive here! I'll be eating here again for sure!
Vegan caramel latte.
Views of the canal from our table.
Aubergine, bean & pepper stew. V GF Leek salad GF (not vegan). The stew was slightly spiced and very well flavoured.
Beet Bourgiunion & mustard mash. 9/10 I practically scraped the plate clean!
Chef's hard at work in the open kitchen.
Too full for dessert? It must be a first! They had vegan ice cream and a gluten free cake.
View of the restaurant from across the water.



7 comments:
That sounds like a lovely place in a lovely location!
@Mihl
Hey Mihl! Good to hear from you. I will be going back in the summer for sure.
India xx
That vegan caramel latte is making me drool. I need to go to London soon, I think.
A 30-minute drive from your mum’s house?! That’s simply amaaaaazing to know that there are vegan eats nearby! The name Woody’s sounds pretty cute esp the view of the canal - glad that they are able to accommodate you on vegan/gf dishes! The vegan caramel latte and the stew both look so delicious! Thank you for sharing this lovely gem!
@veganmiam.com
Hey Rika! it was more like 15 mins in the end?! Can you believe it? Such a find. They are very vegan friendly. Honestly, the outlying areas of major cities in the UK are a vegan wasteland. So HAPPY to have found them. I just hope more follow. When travelling around, as you know, you get used to a strong vegan presence.
There's a great wholefoods shop called Clare James in Kings Langley too, which is about 3 miles or less from Apsley, the suburb of Hemel that Woody's is in (in case you go again). They do quite a good range of GF stuff. My folks live in Apsley, so I visit these places quite frequently. I love that Woody's will do seasonal food when they can - had some nettle soup there a few years ago!
@Emily
Hey Emily,
Funny you should say that. I actually got lost on the way home and ended up driving past it. I was so happy I'd taken the wrong turn. I stocked up good and proper. Great store!
India :)
Post a Comment