Find yourself hungry and away from a sizeable city and it can be a wasteland for vegans, and slim pickings for those with gluten or other food sensitivities. Jacket potato anyone? Oh yes, I'll just pop on my 80's shoulder pads, white stilettos and step back in time to devour this culinary masterpiece!
Back here in the 21st century changes are afoot. A trickle of inventiveness is emerging and SOME pub and cafe chains are offering those who prefer to live off plants and don't find a plate of raw carrots sticks and tomato sauce a dinner worthy of salivation, a meal with flavour and a bit of thought.
A few weeks back I was staying in a twee little English village. A friend was visiting and I didn't want to cook. I heard something on the grapevine about a local Greene King pub that was serving a couple of vegan dishes on the menu. Hoorah! I called ahead and, hang out the bunting, ring the bells, they confirmed that they did.
I didn't quite skip with glee all the way there as I was a bit wary, however I was pleasantly surprised. The salad was tasty and filling. The beetroot glaze was lovely and the tiny chillies added a gentle kick.
Vitality (V)
Mixed leaves, rosemary-roasted squash, edamame beans,
roquito peppers, marinated olives, fine beans, chickpeas, broccoli, sun-blushed baby tomatoes, red onion, beetroot glaze £7.45
roquito peppers, marinated olives, fine beans, chickpeas, broccoli, sun-blushed baby tomatoes, red onion, beetroot glaze £7.45
Friend ordered the gourd and tomato soup. It was not gluten free so I did not try it but he thought it was flavoursome and filling.
I contacted all the major pub chains in the UK in addition to Greene King, to enquire about their menus and if they cater for food allergies, etc. Not one responded. Charming. However, I visited Wetherspoons on a couple of occasions and they have a gluten free and vegan chickpea curry on offer in their Curry Club. The website has a useful interactive special diets menu which lists food items to your particular dietary needs.
Do you know of any other pubs or cafe chains in the UK that welcome vegans and dinners with food allergies? Please leave a comment below and I will add it to this post. Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment