M.O.B In Brooklyn. Avant-garde Pizza. A Tale Of Two Cities.


I flew to New York last year.  It was a long held dream of mine to visit the Big Apple.  The iconic city definitely did not disappoint.  I wrote about all my food adventures in NYC, but I left out this one.  I wanted to visit Paris and see the other MOB and bring you both of them.

M.O.B. was born in the mind of Cyril Aouizerate, over a 20 year period, while he was studying the works of Maimonides, a Spanish born Jewish philosopher, on the health benefits of various combinations of vegetables, fruits and spices. At that time he tells himself that someday he will try to make this philosophical text an ambitious project in bringing men together, regardless of their beliefs. And for their desire to, and belief of eating together.  After finding the appropriate place for him to build his restaurant, Cyril founded M.O.B (Maimonides of Brooklyn).  
It is set away from the hipster areas of Williamsburg and up and coming Bushwick. It gave me a good excuse to further explore Brooklyn. The neighbourhood circles a huge greenspace.  Prospect Park may not have the fame of Central Park in Manhattan, but I actually preferred it as a place to get away from the craziness of the city.

I visited in the afternoon.  Hungry from sightseeing and map reading.  A cute Irish guy offered me a warm welcome, sat me down and brought me a tray of oven baked kale chips whilst I read the menu.  Whilst it was a bit quiet inside, the lunch rush not yet taken hold, I thought the atmosphere was easy.  I chose an MOB. Well, I couldn't visit and not imbibe their namesake.  The Iron Man. A generous topping of kale, shiitake mushrooms and a gorgeous horseradish aioli.  All vegan.  All gluten free.  The base is made mostly of chickpea flour.








The MOB is baked in ovenware formed to the shape of the Brooklyn Bridge (nice touch).  It was delicious.  Generously topped and the base, though not like pizza, it had an almost cakey texture but it was good and it soaked up the aioli and the juices from the sauté perfectly.  Filling too!  I would definitely recommend eating at MOB when you visit Brooklyn.  If you come to NYC, Brooklyn is a must.   It has a totally different feel.  Less frenetic than its island neighbour.  I felt I could breathe here.


525 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217, United States

Paris!!  I was lucky enough to be in Paris a few weeks ago. I found MOB located in a great little spot right beside the Seine, in a building dedicated to design.  However, not all things are created equal and when I asked for a gluten free MOB I was told, 'this is Paris', we do not do the same as Brooklyn. Disappointing.  
However I was made to feel a little better by their eye catching 'plastic animals in nightshade'. Yes, I am at times, easily pleased. 
I had to go elsewhere to find vegan AND gluten free food.


34 Quai d'Austerlitz
Paris, France

1 comment:

Mihl said...

What a coincidence! I am just re-reading A Tale of Two Cities. But the mobs in there are totally different and not edible;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...