Oakland - Souley Vegan
After two days of eating at home, I felt it was time to venture out and go see for my self if the reviews on YELP lived up to the big talk. A friend had come down from the Sierra's to visit and I twisted his arm to come explore the taste of vegan soul food.
Swanky it ain't. The decor is basic but the welcome is HUGE. The staff could not be more helpful. When I asked one of them if she could recommend anything she replied, 'Seriously....everything!', whilst not making my choice any easier ( I typically want to try it all!), her honest passion for Souley's food had my stomach rumbling and was salivating as I deliberated the menu. They list the proteins, legumes, greens and carbs as portions, which you select and build up the plate of food to your own liking. For the indecisive; you can order the whole shebang! I opted for the southern fried tofu, mashed potato, lentils and cornbread. The smells flying around the room were tormenting me but the food arrived pretty quickly. The portions are very generous; two fist sized bits of crispy tofu sat at the helm and the rest filled up the plate.
(I was so fixated on my food when it arrived that I forgot to take a pic so not my actual meal. I am guilty of stealing the image from their website. I hope they forgive me!) Let me tell you, it is comfort food; food to make your soul smile; perfectly salty, seasoned by someone who knows their food, smooth with buttery ('better than mum's'), mash, firm with earthy lentils. The tofu is an experience in itself, at first you bite deep into the crisp, peppery batter, then the subtle flavourings of the olive oil it bubbles up in, passes over the taste baton to the smooth, velvety tofu. Oh yum, oh very yum! These are all married by a healthy helping of spicy greens. It was tasty. Satisfying. Only habit had me even contemplating dessert. I spied peach cobbler, cheesecake and pie and normally I would of caved and ordered, but, honestly, the entree had it all. My stomach was full, my taste buds satisfied and I was done. Good. Wholesome, life affirming grub, delivered by people who love food. It's title of 'Best restaurant on the East Bay 2010' by Peoples Choice, is probably befitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment