I had the joy of eating with a friend so not only could I share great company but I also got to steal bits of their entree too! Perfect.
After the usual painstaking deliberations I FINALLY requested, from my patient and knowledgeable waitress, the Tomal del Dia (Tomale of the day) with Stoneground heirloom masa steamed in the husk filled with butternut squash, served with beans and escabeche (pickled veggies...cauliflower, carrots, chillie etc). I craved a side of guac too, so that came along for the ride. It complimented the dish well but I've yet to find an avocado that beats the super cheap ones I pick up from the market at the head of Mission Street. My fellow diner went wild and ordered the persimmon salad, gleaming with a perfect chipoltle vinaigrette (honestly, if you, like me, do not order salads for fear of not feeling you've got your monies worth and go home hungry and a bit sad....then you can rethink the notion with this glossy little offering...fulfilling in the most unexpected way. I think it has all the flavours going on and your tum is a bouncingly happy bunny, consuming a mountain of greens and fruit..honest!), Brussel sprout gratin and the Quesadillas de Calabaza, a great big dolop of perfectly seasoned butternut squash oozing from folds of corn tortillas and topped with a ladle of cashew cheese. I'd had this starter before and had to force myself to try something new. I was well rewarded for my courageous venture to other lands (somit different on the menu!) My tomale had the perfect balance off sweet, fluffy corn masa and roasted, smooth, butternut squash filling ( I opted out of the mole sauce as its a bit to 'kick ass' for me and I wanted to sleep tonight!), the frijoles were deliciously salty and had an earthy depth. The pickled veggies balanced the meal...perfectly. Oh boy. It was happiness central at our table. Craig had not been before and I'm sure was already planning his next visit. Lucky him actually getting to live in San Francisco.
All in all...generous, great value and blooming yummy!
How could I nearly forget...the delicately sweet dusted Mexican wedding cookies....shared..one a piece. Crumbly, not too sweet and so pleasing, one slowed the spinning of the earth to appreciate each ladylike nibble!
Oooh Gracias Madre!

No comments:
Post a Comment