I was HUNGRY and my mouth craved a flavour party and my stomach shouted FEED ME NOW! I'd been to the Venezuelan inspired Pica Pica Maize Kitchen the week before and had enjoyed it but I wasn't desperate to go back again, it was tasty but not wow and the tofu in my vegan was too soft and bland. Nevertheless, I found myself walking back through the doors on Mission Street. This time I decided to make the menu my own, I smiled with all the sweetness I could muster, as I asked the helpful, but dour, manager for the grilled corn flour cake, the No.5 La Shuli to be stuffed with plantain in addition to the tomatoes, black beans and herbs. I also caved into my yearnings and ordered the smashed, crispy plantain cake and the yucca fries, oh and a small side of avocado.
I don't know what happened since the previous week, but Oh my good GOD! The food was amazing. AMAZING. The arepa was transformed and made a thing of utter bloody perfection by the omission of boring mushy tofu and the take-over by the sweet plantain. A genius move by me (thank you me). The slightly sweet plantain, the earthy black beans and the finely chopped, herbed tomatoes were a perfect marriage, and their take on guacamole that I smeared with abandon on the roof of the cornbread nearly had me in tears. My eyes tolled reverentially to the heavens. I was undone with joy. Oh Jesus..... and the fries.....oh, bloody hell they were salty, garlicky, crispy and left a yummy film of oiliness on my lips. Oh feck. I was in LOVE. Right in the middle of it; if love was a spinning of flavours and textures and gorgeousness then I was at its CORE. Ha, ha. I could of laughed at the joy of it all. I was so happy I could of danced on the tables and done star jumps all the way to the counter before planting a huge smacker on the chef's fissog and bursting out onto the street to tell the WORLD of the scrumminess I'd discovered! But...I didn't. I quietly told the chef he was fabulous and walked out with a smile like you get when you've just had great sex.
GO THERE NOW!
PICA PICA...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!! times a million.
No comments:
Post a Comment