How do I cope with torrential rain, delayed departures and touching down in a new city?.....I go get me some food. Good food. I dropped in my bags, grabbed the key to my new rental and headed out. First stop....Flore, a vegan haven, situated, bang smack, a little off centre, of the hip hang-out, Sunset Junction, Silverlake. I'd practically ran there to fill up my empty belly. No puddle could dissuade me, no overflowing pot hole could dampen my ardour. I was set on a course like an missile, a bullet, a.....ok, sorry... the FOOD.
I ordered the Reuben, partly because the waiter recommended it and partly because I'd seen a review for the Radical Reuban from the Chicago Diner on http://www.portlandveganreubans.blogspot.com/ and I had salivated upon seeing the images on the web, even though I couldn't imagine what it tasted like. For those who have not had the good fortune to try it, it's Tempeh, sauerkraut and cashew cheese inside toasted spelt bread. It came out in super quick time, though this may have been because the rain stopped all but the hardy from venturing out to feast. The toast was warm and buttery and the guts of the sandwich was a heady mix of creamy, crunchy, sweet and sourness and it was DELIGHTFUL. It was subtle. More contented 'Sunday morning easy' type of a vibe than a 'crash..bang..whallop, street party' kind of a sandwich. Any gripes I hear you question?... I wished they'd been more generous with the salad (3 slices of cucumber, some alfa sprouts and a few leaves). It seemed a bit pricey for a sandwich too, but maybe I'm just being tight from the downturn in the exchange rate of my quids and dollars?
The decor is a bit like they can't be bothered and leave it all to the food to do the talking, which is fair enough but I do think the display counters seem to dominate the room and they are not even that pretty....needs a womans touch! The ambiance wasn't setting off any fireworks for fun and bonhomie either but it did the job and reached the spot, as they say.
I sampled the wheat-free apple and cinnamon cupcake which sat looking at me alluringly all throughout dinner. The sponge was moist, not too sweet and the icing was ok, I'd prefer more of a frosting but...hmm, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 as far as cupcakes go. I polished off though and left my plate with a mere smear, not even a crumb...just a smear. I'd eat at Flore again, but not before I've crossed out the places on my long and lovely list! If you have any 'must try' vegan Meccas let me know please.
With my tummy pleasantly full and an added bounce to my step, I trudged back through the rivers of water running off from the Silverlake hills, and back to my room. I thanked God for inventing taste buds and called it a night.
postscript...I was so hungry, that in my rush to get fed I didn't take my camera to Flore, so I borrowed the snaps of the food from Google. My thanks to those who took the pics. x


No comments:
Post a Comment