I know, when I am travelling, as I often am (The whole enchilada travel journal my blog link) I have to budget so don't eat out every night and I don't always stay in places with access to pans and a stove so I have to make do. There are some TASTY options out there and I'm going to share some of them and hopefully get to find out about your hints and tips too.
In my suitcase I always find room to carry a few basics to tide me over for when I arrive at a new destination, and need something quick and easy to eat before grabbing my bag and hitting the streets to start exploring. We all have our own comfort foods and mine is SOUP. It makes me feel grounded and settled and fills me up. Squirrelled in my suit case I have bags of dried SPLIT PEA SOUP and CURRIED LENTIL flavour too. I stock up at BULK BINS whenever I can. They are vegan, low fat, yeast and sugar free and DELICIOUS! They are made by TASTE ADVENTURE and are super cheap. A BIG bowl will cost only about $1. I add crumbled nori strips and cayenne pepper for nutrition and a kick. Once I've found my feet, and the food store, I may mix it up a bit I sometimes add a scoop of tomato paste or peas and a few fresh herbs. Whole Foods usually stock these soup,as do smaller independents such as Rainbow Grocery San Francisco. I always have a tiny pouch of curry powder, pink salt, pepper and chilli flakes.
For my breakfast I carry Green Protein Powder from Trader Joes or Brown Rice Protein Powder which I mix with fennel seeds, ginger powder and freeze dried fruit (adding fresh when I've settled in my new surroundings) or sometimes freeze dried sweetcorn. This gives a really nice sweet/salty thing going on.
For snacks hummus with popadoms or brown rice wraps is tasty, cheap and handy pouches have been dreamed up by Wild Garden and they are DELISH.
Trader Joes has some tasty dinner options. I've not tried them all YET, but some I have and rate are;
Black bean enchiladas
Chickenless stuffed cutlet
Canned Split Pea Soup
Cooked brown rice pouches
Garlic rice noodle soup bowl 99c
In the frozen section ANYTHING vegan by Amy's Kitchen My current favourite is the TAMALE
I've also come across an AMAZING flavour packed Mayan Harvest Bake with plantains, beans, kale, squash on a bed of polenta, it is a perfect fusion of flavour texture (I love the crunchy seed sprinkled on to). My only gripe is it needs to be larger! Add a heap of salad and your tastebuds are booming!
Enough already! I'll post more soon and tell you about the NO CARB gluten free pasta I've found too. In the meantime, please share with us your convenience food treasures.


No comments:
Post a Comment