I was heading on a road trip to get some sun (yeah, right....bloody joke that turned out to be. Thanks Mr Weatherman!) in Sedona and needed a stopping off point to break up a long..long drive, 'cross dusty desert. I Googled Vegan, Arizona. Happy Cow and Yelp offered me some choices. A stream of zesty adjectives assigned to reviews for Green in Tempe had me booking a nearby hotel and plotting my course.
Green is located in a rather nondescript shopping strip. Its signage straightforward and lacking flair. Inside it opens out to a large room with plenty of seating, mostly occupied.
The decor is a bit 'college' style and fun. The menu is extensive and I asked the waiter to help me choose. I then proceeded to order something entirely different?!! I opted for the special, THE BRAT, a take on a Bratwurst in beer, with mustard and sauerkraut. A side of the sweet potato puffs ensured my appetite was well catered for.
I found a seat, the owner (I think?) came over and wiped it clean and chatted to me about the menu for a few minutes. He seemed very interested in his customers and stoked about his food. I waited for about ten minutes and then it came, delivered 'basket' style. The puffs a dazzling shade of orange. It looked gooood.
It tasted.......average. From the reviews I had built up in my mind a taste rocketing sensation to blow my mind. Hmm, it was... ok. The sweet potato puffs were... pleasant, nice and crisp. I'd opted for the Ezekial bap. It was papery. The filling...lacking...something....I'm not sure. More mustard perhaps The owner guy came over as I cleared my plate. He asked. I was honest. He seemed genuinely open to my comments and not offended. 'Come back,' he said. 'Try something off the menu'. Not said in desperation to please, but with a confidence that I'd find it worthy. My attempts to break into foodie raptures with the dessert cookie failed too. I found it a little too sweet. I vow to give them another try when I head back down this way. I'll let you know what I find.
Have you eaten here? I'd love to hear your experience. Send us a comment or a link to your blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment