The Vegan House in Silverlake is not swanky, its lit sign doesn't pull you in with a designer typeface, the painted $4.99 lunch special daubed on the glass door does little to install confidence (in me) that a special dining experience awaits. I passed it by often as I trudged up and down Silverlake Blvd to Echo Park, and my daily writing spot at Stories bookshop and cafe. I seemed to have forgotten that some of my most amazing meals have been purchased, road-side for mere pocket change in some exotic destination.
This day I wanted veggies, lots of them, colourful, fresh and I wanted them bad. It was early evening as I passed by, noticed the bargain 'happy hour' sign. The staff were welcoming. The decor, as the exterior...no frills. Think canteen style. There were 3 choices for the $4.99 deal, for starter, entree and dessert. ALL VEGAN. I opted for the spicy eggplant with black bean sauce. It came in no time, fresh, hot and coupled with a mound of steamed brown rice. The veggies were delicious and the rice had a pleasing chew. The sauce was delicious. I sampled the 'crab' wantons too. A creamy soy filling in crisp, fried pastry, served with chilli jam. Yes, yes, yes....yum, yum, yum! A healthy and delicious feast for under $10.
I returned twice. The staff always super nice. The great taste consistent. If you want a cheap and flavoursome meal and don't mind omitting the fancy dancy frills then go pull up a chair. They do Mexican dishes too.
No comments:
Post a Comment