Idyllwild California

Idyllwild, is a small mountain town.  A 'getaway' place. Extremely friendly with lots of hiking, cabins & retreat centres.  It's gorgeous.  I came to stay for a few days.

I decided to go to Nature's Wisdom.  Three years ago they were offering organic raw & vegan entrees.  The menu has changed and the raw has been replaced with meat dishes and only one vegan option...soup.  Not overly succumbing to the rather tatty interior I requested a sample of the soup.  It was a 'chop it all, chuck it all in' type veggie broth, that failed to rally my appetite for more.  Especially the cost $8 for a bowl of soup, served in a plastic bowl.  I think not.  Shame.  I said thank you and promptly left.

The next three days I didn't even consider eating elsewhere after I discovered a small health food store tucked away on the fringe of town MOUNTAIN HARVEST MARKET.  It is not a restaurant but they have a little homemade food section, comfy sofa and tables around a toasty fire and smiles.  My lunch was a 'to go' rice based entree of perfectly cooked brown rice, zucchini, kale, red peppers, onions and peas.  It came with a tub of DELICIOUS vegan 'gravy'.  So satisfying and just the right amount.

I loved this so much I had it two days on the trot.  The last day I had a spicy biryani style dish which was a smidgen away from pulling it off as a dead heat. I was also fortunate to meet lovely Cathy, the woman responsible for the dishes.  She effuses enthusiasm and warmth.  She clearly loves good food and enjoys offering her meals at great prices too.  $4.75 for an entree or salad.Bargain!

The first day I had room for dessert and grabbed a slab of Earth Cafe Pumpkin cake.  Hmm, it had a  strange texture and a weird 'unnatural' kind of flavour.  It was not very nice. 4 out of 10. I know they can do better.  'Who's Your Daddy' used to be a frequent pud rattling around in the bottom of my shopping basket. I've not eaten them for a while but I guess the other flavours are still hitting the spot as they netted an award with a vegetarian magazine as Best Raw Goodies, winner. Earth Cafe

4 comments:

Belfor San Diego said...

It looks like a great meal. Good post.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION said...

@Belfor San Diego

~Thank you for stopping by Belfor x

mogwaibond said...

Thanks for those great tips! We're going to Idyllwild over spring break, and were looking for good veggie/vegan options. Will definitely go to the places you recommend.

mogwaibond said...

Thanks for those great tips! We're going to Idyllwild over spring break, and were looking for good veggie/vegan options there. Much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...