I went to an Indian canteen situated right at the end of my street. India Sweets & Spices. Their menu listings go on for reams, the meal combo seems to be the most popular choice. I opted for a dosa at $5.48 I peered at the glass cabinet for a few moments at the India sweets, before 'Dosa, Dosa', sounded out the arrival of my meal. It was served on a paper thali plate. My cutlery was plastic. Lucky for me it is all about the taste. The spicy potato filling was strangely mashed, the spices subtle. Duo chutneys, one red one green. The tamarind was good, the coconut was bitter...almost an 'off' taste to it. I troubled with the latter no more. The sambhar (the curry gravy) was excellent. Dense with veggies and with a mother of a kick. I dallied over each mouthful. I was stuffed as I scraped the plastic fork into near unreachable corners of my paper plate. All I left was an ochre stain.
My laden tummy was in no fit state for anymore food..so I ordered the samosa against my better/slimmer judgement. It was the shape of a teepee.
The pastry was crisp, chewy and delicious. The filling was less so. Mashed potato and a few lonely peas. A watery date and tamarind chutney livened it up and I scoffed the lot. A bargain at 99c Whilst eating myself to an uncomfortable state of stuffed I read one of the newspapers, stacked underneath the largest TV I have ever seen. Statueque, over -made up Indians danced across the screen in formation. India Abroad. Flicking through a few things caught my eye.
No comments:
Post a Comment