Letting the dust settle

I've found myself up a mile-high mountain in California.  Technically I'm still travelling as I am in the US but I'm staying here for over a month, so I'm kinda settled.  It's small... a mountain village of only 3500.  The restaurants are all geared up for tourists..traditional fayre and VEGAN options are not taking up space on the laminated menus.  I intend to use this as an opportunity to see what the chefs (if they are willing) can conjure up.  Fingers crossed they will extend their skills beyond a green salad or pasta with tomato sauce (yawn...).

What I am SO excited about in the next few weeks is my intention to reintroduce myself to the kitchen.  It has been six months since I was surrounded by all of my cooking equipment and shelves of glass jars full of cooking staples.  I left the UK and my house behind with the whiff of homemade hot chutney filling the air.  I've not really cooked since.  Not tinkered with new recipes or scratched ideas into my kitchen journal. I've got use of a full kitchen and I'm going to make the most of it.  Though, I'll be honest..I'm a bit scared I may of lost my flair.  Its been a long time.  But cooking is like riding a bike yeah?!, once mastered never forgotten.  Fingers crossed.

I have plans.  To recreate some meals that I've become OBSESSED with. Food that I dream of (thank God for being blessed with a TASTE memory) I've either had the good fortune to devour or have heard about but not tasted..YET.

What is on my list?.... Tamales.I have the help of a Mexican blog I follow. The Mija Chronicles...It is not a vegan blog but Leslie is a Mexican travel expert and a foodie.  She was all set to teach me how to cook vegan food in Mexico but alas my trip was cancelled., and is on hold until I feel it is a safer place (or I become more courageous!)...  Reuben Sandwiches. Oh the memories of Natural Frontiers in Sedona and the dreams of visiting the Chicago Diner one day. I found a recipe on http://www.food.com/ Vegan Reuben Sandwiches. Photo by tendollarwine  Tendollarwine . It looked the simplest recipe and seeing as I'm just warming up my cooking skills and am not back in my kitchen with all my gadgets and stuff, I'm going to start of with a trot and move to a canter.  I've also been munching on a sweet carrot dessert made with sultanas and Veganaise (I KNOW!) from this awesome chef called Carol who creates great dishes and sells it in Mountain Harvest Market..Idyllwild.  Chipotle vinaigrette to liven up a persimmon salad (from my beloved Gracias Madre in San Francisco...the list is just beginning...I've not even started to consider the raw stuff that the people for 105 degrees create...the are extremely creative. Almost Vegan..the new HOT RAW CHEF is a recent graduate.  The list is only at its conception and I'm just starting to get my pen flowing   I have missed cooking so much.  I cannot wait.  I've a VERY long shopping list to write....


Packed away in a box marked...PRECIOUS CARGO..all my cooking books.  They are all back in the UK.  So I'm going to use the Internet for recipe ideas and order The Accidental Vegan The Accidental Vegan cookbook
(am I the last vegan to order this?...better late than never!)The Accidental Vegan
If you have any ideas to get me back in the kitchen let me know...  In the meantime I'll be checking out all the new and fabulous blogs that the The Vegan Backpacker, Quarry Girl et al, post.  We  seem to be increasing in number at an amazing rate!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...