OK OK YOU ASKED FOR IT - You paid the ransom, You get the recipe

I was absolutely hounded (this truth, as a concept...has quite a fair amount of elasticity!), to divulge the ingredients and 'how to' for the BLACK BEAN & WALNUT PARTY BURGERS I posted a few days ago.  I have given in to the pressure, and I now lay what you have behest at your feet....

Black bean & walnut burgers....Copyright aveganobsession




YOU WILL NEED

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (drained)
1 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 cup of walnuts
1 small finely chopped leek
1 small onion finely chopped (I have used without as I made caramelized onions to sit on the burger...otherwise add)
1 clove garlic
1/2 red pepper diced
1 small red chili
1 tbp rice vinegar (or 1/2 apple cider vinegar....the rice is sweeter and not as sharp)
1/4 - 1/2 cup soya/besan/quinoa/oat flour or cooked and cooled polenta, whichever you have floating about...they all work well to bind the mix.  How much you use depends on the moisture in your mix.
2 tsp freshly roasted cumin. ground.  If not powder is ok.
1 tsp paprika
1 tbs fresh herbs...I used a mint/coriander mix but you could use just coriander (ciltrano) or basil for a taste of the Med (add some sundried toms too....umm, that'd be nice) basically...I encourage you to experiment..its YOUR burger party right?!  
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)


2 tbp olive oil for frying                                                                                     Makes approx 8 burgers


ARE YOU READY?  WE SHALL BEGIN

fry the leeks in the oil (and onion if adding) until soft.  Add the garlic until it turns golden, careful not to burn, and 1/2 the chili.  Remove with a slotted spoon.  Retain oil in the pan for later.

In a bowl add 2/3 of the beans and rice (some will be added whole at a later stage), walnuts the leeks, garlic etc and the spices.  Season with salt and pepper (I use 1 tsp pink salt and lashings of black pepper).  Blend.

Add into the bowl the rest of the beans, rice,  the flour, finely chopped chili and chopped herbs.  Mix.  Now, it should be holding together well, if not add a little more flour.  Shape into burgers and put on a baking tray and pop into the fridge...YES, I did say fridge..leave for as long as you can...30 mins minimum..this firms them up nicely..ready for frying.

Gently place burgers into the pan the garlic etc was fried in and fry on each side for approx 4-5 mins.  Lift them out gently when done.  You could also bake them for 20-25 mins in the oven (if you want a low fat version).


Serve with salad, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, sweet potato fries and polenta crisp (I flavoured the polenta with a dusting of vegan Parmesan) and a chipotle/tomato sauce...or Veganaise...or mustard....or cashew 'sour cream'....Oh God..how about a side of sauteed plantains instead?....oooh the possibilities........

Vlola!  Now party!

Copyright aveganobsession



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...