I WON, I WON, I WON! Ohh, this week I was like a girl that had found the golden wrapper from Willy Wonka. I entered a competition set by www.anamericancupcakeinlondon.com and yes....I WON! Hail the fortunes of a lucky streak! Kelly from AACIL emailed me with the news and told me to get myself to London and venture up on the roof...
But what was I doing up on the roof on a sunny Friday in July? I'd ventured up from the lands in East Sussex to witness a wonder plant. The Japanese have used it for decades, it's grown in the America's and been the love of diabetic's, dieters (zero calorie & low carbohydrates) and dessert darlings for a long time. What is this precious substance of which I speak? Stevia Rebuadiana. A sweet leaf, 300 times sweeter than sugar with a negligable effect on glucose levels, and part of the sunflower family. As with many things, the UK can be a bit slow on the uptake. FINALLY, the arrival of this sweet-leaf at our shores is imminent. It is being manufactured (hopefully ethically) by TRUVIA, the company responsible for the lurid green lake and jungles of stevia plants, amassed and artified by Bompas & Parr atop the retail emporium www.selfridges.com on Oxford Street. As the story goes, Truvia set out on a Voyage of Discovery to unearth a sweetner that comes from nature and has zero, zip, nadda, none, no calories..that's right..... calorie free. They took themselves deep into South America and found what they sought in the land around the Iguazu Falls and after some jiggery pokery they created sugar crystals for us to use. How SWEET is that?! Fingers crossed the zero free calorie drinks I raved about in the US chai cola, zingy ginger and the like will be soon to follow.
I rowed up the mighty green lake to the waterfalls at the end, screamed as I got drenched under a curtain of water, met with a rather dashing explorer who invited me pick and taste the leaves before I headed off to the island bar for a Truvia Smash cocktail. Lovely.
On my way down from the roof a rather theatrical chap handed me a stevia plant all of my own..and a small bottle of citrus stevia cocktail to take on my continued adventures in London.
A fun way to pass an hour in the heart of London (for those fortunate to hold a golden (well, it's green actually) in their sweaty palms. Thank you An American Cupcake in London and the Gods of fortune who smileth down on me. x
psst...I will be posting the rest of my London adventure on my travel/memoir blog shortly....if you care to join me... www.indialeigh.wordpress.com
4 comments:
Looks like you had a good time!
What a fabulous adventure. I fancy sailing away on a green lake, is this still open? I was planning on hitting Selfridges at some point tomorrow so will have to check it out.
Your photos are mouthwatering, even though I'm definitely not a vegan! Thanks for coming by my blog :-)
Congratulations! Lucky you, it looks like you had a super fun time! That is one green lake! :-)
Hey Babes, yes I think it is open until Sunday evening. Have a great day! I'm following your blog now :-)
Hey Chow! thanks :-)
Post a Comment