The vegan options in San Francisco are never ending (hurrah) and I'm being kept busy (and full) peddling up and down crazy hills to extend my vegan knowledge, and to bring you pictures of food. One recurring name on the lips of many Yelpers, Happy Cows and vegan bloggers alike is Ike's Place. A sandwich shop on 16th and Sanchez. All spoke of 'out of this world' flavour. All spoke of lengthy queues. None seemed to complain, once they'd bitten into a densely packed bap. I took note of some helpful Yelp advice and called at opening hour - 10am - and made my needs known to the server. He was so patient and gave me all the time in the world to make up my mind (which I took) what I was going to order. Word was 'go for the Meatless Mike - vegan 'meat' balls with marina sauce'. The website is a great (and so fun!) source to acquaint yourself with their menu and 100's of options (not all vegan). You punch in your desires, and voila, a nice list of suggestions. The meatless balls are not gluten free, but they offer gluten free bread so I thought 1 out of 2 isn't bad. Usually, I veer passed anything with gluten in, but when so many people say something is AMAZING I start to think I'll throw a tantrum if I can't have it too. My curiosity won. So I ate at noon and got ready to cycle my butt off and hack it down to the ocean to minimise the gluten grip. I was ready to pay for my gluten dalliances. For you. I do it ALL for you (mostly).
| The Meatless Mike in Dolores Park |
Will I go back to Ike's?.... The bread was a winner as far as I'm concerned. The staff could teach many a food server in the UK a thing or two.... Hmmn. If, one day, Ike makes a Reuben with tempeh, I will be sure to be pushing those bike peddles all the way to his door. But, hey, if you are a sandwich lover...Go....all those people on Yelp can't be wrong.
2 comments:
The first sandwich I ever had at Ike's was amazing. The 2nd time, not so much - still good but not as well made and a little more sloppily done. It sounds like they're just coasting now. :-(
This sandwich looks so yummy!
Post a Comment