The new (not) Coffee


Hello my lovelies!  Sorry I've not written in so long, but I'm still running around San Francisco, shopping, tasting, visiting, studying and restaurant hopping.  All in my quest to unearth all (actually just some...there's so much!) that is vegan.  I've a list as long as a strip of 'bacon' tempeh for posts to blog. To lay at your feet (or on your table...that would be easier) and probably more hygienic) a whole platter of reviews,  new products, new recipes and food porn.  Stay tuned, as they say, for that.

I've been washing it all down and keeping myself fit and watered, with copious cups of green tea.  I was sloshing around in the stuff. I fancied a change.  Rainbow Grocery is my daily stop (so many hours have I clocked up there now that I think I could probably get a job there.  Scouring every shelf and nook, I now have a pretty good idea of where everything is!) and they often have little morsels of new products for the shopper (me) to try.  The smell of coffee, to me is delightful, however, the taste and that weird aftertaste isn't. So I don't partake.  As I wandered happily marvelling at a row of various forms of fungi my nose alerted me to the smell of brewing coffee.  Trusting my olfactory face gadgetry as I do, I set out to seek its source.  Upon which we alighted upon a woman brewing a hot beverage, and saw that it wasn't coffee, but a caffeine free, herbal drink.  Words like full-bodied, rich and non-acidic grabbed my attention.  I accepted a tiny cup of the Vanilla Nut flavour and was amazed.  It was perfectly balanced, bitter, deeply aromatic and with a tiny nudge towards sweetness.  Oh my God...HOOKED.  It so was complex and heady.

Teeccino is made from a melange of roasty goodness - carob, dates, chicory, almonds and figs. The chicory makes it prebiotic and it is gluten free.  Whoops of pure joy.  I declare it delicious, grounding and happy making.  The website shows they sell it in convenient T-bags too.  I've not managed to find any in stores yet.  Hopefully I will before I return to the UK.  Try it.  It looks like the coffee substitute has grown up.  Hey coffee...start shaking in your boots you have a serious contender!

Teeccino

1 comment:

chow vegan said...

I love the smell of coffee but not much of a coffee drinker. Maybe one or two of those fancy coffees a year. But this Teeccino sounds really interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...