Simple Raw Zucchini Pasta Salad with Almond Alfredo Sauce



My mum and I had a deal last weekend, whilst I was up visiting her.  I make lunch, she pays for it. 
She is brilliant.  Open to new foods and giving new dishes a try.  The funny thing is though, is that she will try it but then defaults back to the handful of meals she has been making since I was wee.  Habit is just that I guess....habit. She's still a bit scardy-cat of attempting to create a 'vegan' dish for me.  I tell her it's not big deal.  I point out lots of dishes that traditionally don't contain animal. After many years I think she finally 'gets' it.  She has sampled so much of my food, she now gets that delicious desserts do not need dairy, sugar or white flour.  Entrees are amazing without the use of any animal products.  She called me in the week to tell me she'd been telling all her friends about this dish.  It is so simple, I've a feeling she may give it a go herself.  Maybe.

I used a spiralizer but it is just as good turning the zucchini into pasta with a box grater or fine ribbons with a vegetable peeler.

This pasta is light and summery for all you lucky people who are enjoying a proper summer, with sun and heat and everything!  It's filling, gluten free, dairy free and ALIVE!  No wheat no worries.

Raw Pasta Salad with garden peas in Almond Alfredo Sauce


Serves 2
2 med-large zucchini (courgette)
2 cups peas
handful of fresh mint
a few basil leaves

'alfredo' sauce
1 cup almonds, soaked over night
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic minced
2 - 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.  Please use fresh. None of that bottled malarkey!
1/2 - 1 tsp Himalayan salt

freshly ground black pepper



Use a spiralizer to create curls of veggie 'pasta'.  Alternatively grate it in long strokes or use a good veggie peeler to create 'tagiatelle'.


 Put the almonds into a blender with the water.  Then decant into a nut milk bag and squeeze out all the almond 'cream'.  It's messy and feels wonderful as the silky almond cream oozes out of the bag.




Grate a clove of garlic into the cream.  Squeeze over the juice of the lemon, about two teaspoons or one hearty squeeze should do it. Season to taste.

Add in the peas, chopped herbs and the pasta and gently fold the mixture with a spoon.  It smells divine.  The garlic fragrance lifts into the air as the acid of the lemon marinates the vegetables and softens the zucchini.

A flourish of freshly grated black pepper and an extra sprinkling of fresh mint and you are done.  


Serve with a pert green salad and a citrusy summer mocktail.




4 comments:

chow vegan said...

Yum, so summery looking! Habits are very hard to break but it sounds like your mom may finally come around. After years and years, my parents are starting to try to eat healthier, but they still eat meat and things. :-(

Natalie said...

That was really a mouth watering. I always love salads and this one is worth a try to make and I'm so glad you share the recipe. Super like... I will make this evening and hope I'll do it right. :D

india-leigh said...

@Natalie

it's super easy Natalie! I hope you LOVE it. Come back and let me know! xo

india-leigh said...

@chow vegan

Hey Chow, so does my mum (eat meat), at least they are willing to try. Your recipes are helping thousands though..this is good. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...