It's The Secret Recipe Club time again. How'd that happen?! It has come back around again so quickly. I am convinced time is speeding up! As they say, 'my life already'! Less 'manana', more 'eck, hurry up love', is called for.
Delving around the blog of this month's secret recipe buddy - enter Jamie from Our Eating Habits, I get the feeling, time isn't snapping at her heals in the kitchen. If it did I think she'd beat it back with a wooden spoon. Nothing is stopping this girl from having fun in the kitchen.
The SRC is good at keeping me from tunnel vision when it comes to food. Being a vegan, I do tend to have my Internet homing pigeon set to 'plant-based recipes', but having a blog assigned by our hostess Angela, to poke around by someone else, I get to spy on recipes which probably wouldn't normally be in my sights. For instance, I wouldn't put 'grasshopper' into a Google search box, unless I was researching natural history, or say, old cult classic karate films. Definitely not in relation to food anywho. Jamie has a zillion (well, an exaggeration..she's just a few shy of that) recipes on her food blog. I saw Grasshopper Pie and I was curiosofied! Not like some sicko, leering at something forbidden, more like the 7 year old tomboy in me spotted it next to 'Worms and Dirt' and got the whiff of fun in the air. It had been raining for three and a half months straight in England, I needed all the fun I could gather!
The first viewing of the ingredients list alone were almost enough to put lil' ole Miss Purity Pants into a hyper blood- sugar rush! After blowing into a brown paper bag to stave off hyperventilation, I threw on my red satin 'veganize' cape and spun into action. I wanted whipped....minted....choccywokky...creamy.... and coooool! A la Vegan. Cupboards banged, scooping spoons were dirtied, the sink filled up with an assortment of bowls. Coconut oil was eaten straight from a spoon (and rubbed onto elbows to nourish my sun-poor, winter skin)....and VOILA!
Creamy Supreme Arctic Grasshopper Pie
Ok, it isn't green, more your 'albino' green, but it is really, really minty. It smells like green. Tastes like green. I'm guessing that is why they called it grasshopper pie in the 1950's, when those jive bopping Americans invented it. Or was it because the Creme de Menthe had those crazy quiffed haired teenagers hopping all over the place? My loves, we may never know.
What I do know is it has more Medium Chain Fatty acids (MCFA's) than you could shake a stick at! Closest to that of mommy's milk = good for you. Unlike saturated animal fats, MCFA's are not readily stored in the body but digested as used as human rocket fuel!
Jamie's original pudding/pie recipe is here. Her recipe has crushed Oreo's in them. I thinking Oreo's aren't gluten free, or very vegan. But if you are not either then... However, I made a lovely crumb that is just like crushed up cookies.
Serves 4
Ingredients
Topping
1 can of full fat Coconut Milk refrigerated (unopened) overnight
2 Tbs xylitol sugar, ground in coffee grinder (or icing sugar if you haven't quit sugar...yet)
1 tsp peppermint extract
Base
6 dates, softened by soaking
1 tbs liquid vanilla (Asian shops sell BARONS liquid, san alcohol, vanilla), if not use water and vanilla powder
1/4 cup coconut flour (or soaked and drained pistachios or Brazil's) the coconut flour is high fibre, lower fat
pinch Himalayan or Celtic salt
1 tbs crushed pistachios
2 tbs carob or cacao powder
2 tbs coconut oil - gently melted
Drizzle
1 Tbs carob or cacao powder
2 Tbs coconut oil - gently melted
1/2 tsp peppermint oil
pinch salt
How to
1. for the base, put all ingredients into a blender and pulse until the crumbs hold together when pressed. Tumble the crumb into a 8inch square dish that you've pre-greased with coconut oil. Press down firmly. Refrigerate or freeze while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. to make the 'cream' filling. Open up the can of coconut milk, (do not shake or turn over the can) and gently scoop out the unquious white cream (leaving behind the clear coconut water. you can use this in other recipes) and decant into a mixing bowl. Add the other 'filling' ingredients and whisk lightly. Grab the chilled base out of the fridge or freezer and pour the minty cream over the top. Pop into the freezer for 1 hour (minimum).
3. prepare the drizzle with the melted coconut oil, the carob, peppermint oil and salt. Stir until smooth.
4. take the pie from the freezer and drizzle the carob sauce over the pie in a delightfully artful manner (or splosh it randomly like I did whilst muttering mild obscenities and your inefficacy at food decoration). Don't take eons either else it will melt quicker than the polar ice caps. House it back into the freezer for 30mins before serving.
I would suggest eating this in company if your will power is poor to middling. Solo consumption is advised with caution.
I also knocked up this 'pie in a jar'. I layered filling and the base with chopped pistachio before crowning with mint carob confection. If you've not tried carob then I suggest a little sampling is in order. Carob is a naturally sweet, sticky legume that is the colour of chocolate, does have any stimulants in it, is low carb and low glycemic and has lots of vitamin D. It does a rather brilliant job of mimicking chocolate flavour, but because of it's sweetness it needs little additional sweetener. Good job, carob!
The cute glass spoon was 'glass blown' right in front of my eyes by an old dear physicist friend of mine. I'd visited to take him to the supermarket but he convinced me to sit in his 'lab' in the kitchen and learn to blow glass instead. Fun times.
Check out the other Secret Recipe Club's recipes shown. I love 'reveal' day, when all our efforts are uploaded into cyberkitchen, and the anticipation of discovering just who was assigned to make one of my recipes and what they chose.
Thanks Jamie, I had such fun with the Grasshopper Pie. Your blog has also inspired me to make corn chowder. My next project, that I am thinking will be a chilled affair. x
sugar free, vegan, gluten free, low carb

19 comments:
We love the unhealthy version of grasshopper, pie, but love how you've made it vegan, gluten free and much better for you! Brava! Great SRC pick~
This looks so fantastic!!! I recently discovered coconut milk as a "whipped topping" and am in love. Definitely giving this pie a try.
Wowzers! You toally made that recipe vegan! Good job and thanks for the kind words!
What a unique recipe. Great SRC pick!
I LOVE how you creatively veganized it :) Well done!
This is amazing that you made this vegan! Impressed!
I need some articness now! This looks delicious.
@Lizzy
Thanks Lizzy! x
@Jamie@Thrifty Veggie Mama
Hey Jamie. I am totally going to check out your blog for some whipped cream topping recipes! Thanks for saying hi! x
@Our Eating Habits
Thanks Jamie! Let me know if you ever give it a go! Your site is fun. Thanks for being my SRC buddy! x
@Melissa
Why thank you Melissa! Thanks for saying hello! x
@Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos
Praise indeed! Thanks Aly x
@Debra Eliot
Hey Debra. Do it! Get some minty coolness! X
I think it's amazing that you can take a recipe and adapt it to be completely vegan and gluten free! What creativity you have! Looks delicious and would have never known by looking at it that it was "-free". Great job!
Now that is a pie to be reckoned with.
@Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles
Aw, Christine, THANK YOU! xxx
@Lisa
Lisa, I totally recommend a culinary skirmish with this pie! Let me know if you try it x
YUM! This looks amazing :)
Right now it seemѕ lіke BlogEngine is the beѕt blоgging platform availablе right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
Also visit my site : how to mosaic
Post a Comment